• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

netherland dwarf a bud?

darcylouise93

Young Bun
Hello!

I recently bought a black Nethie Dwarf doe from a rabbit breeder, and Black Otter Nethie Dwarf buck from a pet store, but I am unsure to whether my doe is purebred. I looked up what nethies are supposed to look like (short ears, rounded face, no neck), but she seems to have a much pointier face and longer ears than my buck. She almost looks like a rex. I also found some information that some does come out like this. I think it's called a BUD- Big Ugly Doe? Which have these characteristics. I was just wondering whether or not a BUD is common in lines, or whether shes most likely not purebred?

Thank you!

Last edited:
A purebred bun will not necessarily meet the show criteria.

Yes, BUDs and BUBs are common. They don't inherit the dwarfing gene, which is why they are abit bigger.

Are you planning to breed?

If so, I would have a rethink about the buns you are breeding with unless you know their full genetic history and any genetic problems for the past 4 generations. This is probably unlikely given you don't seem to have a pedigree for one of them and one came from a pet shop.

I'm not sure on breeding yet, but it is a high possibility. The buck I bought from the pet shop, I found out, came from the breeders daughter. When we looked at the breeders other nethies, they all looked purebred, although I didn't get see the mother and father- well didn't ask. Is it dangerous breeding a BUD?

I'm not sure on breeding yet, but it is a high possibility. The buck I bought from the pet shop, I found out, came from the breeders daughter. When we looked at the breeders other nethies, they all looked purebred, although I didn't get see the mother and father- well didn't ask. Is it dangerous breeding a BUD?

It's dangerous to breed unless you know the genetic background of a few generations before your rabbits. You could end up passing a lot of problems down to the kits which wouldn't be nice :(

Hello!

I recently bought a black Nethie Dwarf doe from a rabbit breeder, and Black Otter Nethie Dwarf buck from a pet store, but I am unsure to whether my doe is purebred. I looked up what nethies are supposed to look like (short ears, rounded face, no neck), but she seems to have a much pointier face and longer ears than my buck. She almost looks like a rex. I also found some information that some does come out like this. I think it's called a BUD- Big Ugly Doe? Which have these characteristics. I was just wondering whether or not a BUD is common in lines, or whether shes most likely not purebred?

Thank you!

Re your title for this thread. No bunny is a 'dud' they are all loveable individuals and deserve to be loved and cared for. . maybe it was a typo for 'BUD' in which case I suggest you go back and edit??

Its actually best to breed a BUD, but you really need to think about why you want to breed and how you will go about it.

You should only do it if you know a full genetic history or else you risk passing on genetic conditions through the lines (for nethies, dental issues and max factor babies are probably the main concern). You also need to think if you are willing to lose your girlie and cope with dead, or stuck kits. Also, do you have a rabbit savvy vet on hand 24/7? Do you know how to sort out kindling problems, like to deal with a stuck kit, or other birthing problems? Can you financially afford an emergency spay, if necessary, and also all the money for the kits, etc. Do you know the exact ages of your buns and also the age that nethies should be bred at?

If you want to breed then I suggest finding a RESPONSIBLE breeder in your area to be your mentor and to teach you all you need to know. Currently it sounds like your knowledge is not anywhere as good as it should be for breeding.

I sorry I meant BUD in my title:?. I know about nethies, how old they should be before breeding, and the age of my buns. I just come across the information about BUD's and wasn't too sure. Yes, I do have a 24/7 vet nearby (and a girl who specializes in buns), and yes I can afford vet bills. I rang the breeder today and found out the last four generations, and she said she had no problems what so ever with her buns (with health conditions, etc.). She also told me all I need to know about breeding nethies and would assist me in the process. I can afford to look after kits (if they do come along) because I don't pay for rabbit feed since our farm supplies it all. I am looking up as much information as I can to extend my knowledge.

Thank you all for your advice.

Can I ask why it is you want to breed?

Some people I know who already have rabbits want some netherland dwarfs
(including my stepsister), and I want to keep one for myself. I wouldn't breed just for the fun of it, though. I also forgot to add that the breeder has already bred her before I bought her.

Last edited:
I know nothing about breeding so excuse my ignorance but presumably you need to know the history of both parents to avoid passing on conditions? If so how can you possibly know the full history of your male if he is from a pet shop?

I sorry I meant BUD in my title:?. I know about nethies, how old they should be before breeding, and the age of my buns. I just come across the information about BUD's and wasn't too sure. Yes, I do have a 24/7 vet nearby (and a girl who specializes in buns), and yes I can afford vet bills. I rang the breeder today and found out the last four generations, and she said she had no problems what so ever with her buns (with health conditions, etc.). She also told me all I need to know about breeding nethies and would assist me in the process. I can afford to look after kits (if they do come along) because I don't pay for rabbit feed since our farm supplies it all. I am looking up as much information as I can to extend my knowledge.

Thank you all for your advice.

You said origionally you got one of them from a pet store. Pet store breeders (tend) not to breed properly, it'd be amazing if they knew the genetic background of a bunny and even more amazing if they were from a good genetic background

I'm sorry if I have offended some people, I just wanted some friendly advice. I found out the buck originally from the breeders line of nethies (because the person who put it in the pet store was her daughter- like I said before) and I have already contacted the breeder who said she had no health conditions, genetic problems, etc. with her buns.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I have offended some people, I just wanted some friendly advice. I found out the buck originally from the breeders line of nethies (because the person who put it in the pet store was her daughter) and I have already contacted the breeder who said she had no health conditions, genetic problems, etc. with her buns.

Hi, I see you are new to the forum - welcome :wave: Its easy to offend people on here when talking about breeding, they have nothing against you its just that most of us (estimate 95%) on here support the re-homing of rescue bunnies. There are lots of rescues on here, I am a trustee of one and would rather that the shocking figure of over 30,000 rabbits in rescue was reduced by responsible re-homing rather than bringing more into the world - but that is my view and you are entitled to yours. :wave:

Hi, I see you are new to the forum - welcome :wave: Its easy to offend people on here when talking about breeding, they have nothing against you its just that most of us (estimate 95%) on here support the re-homing of rescue bunnies. There are lots of rescues on here, I am a trustee of one and would rather that the shocking figure of over 30,000 rabbits in rescue was reduced by responsible re-homing rather than bringing more into the world - but that is my view and you are entitled to yours. :wave:

Wow! Very nicely put! You can act as democrat from now on!

I am really sorry that I offended some people :oops: I live in Australia and I don't think the rabbit problem is as big as in the UK . Except we have HEAPS of wild buns (they are so cute. We live on a farm and we have thousands. I love seeing the little babies eating and run and hide quickly when I drive past). I have no interest in showing buns. But I thank you all for your advice and I'm sorry again if I offended people with the subject of breeding.

Edit- Sorry I forgot to add. I was only thinking about breeding because some people I know wanted some nethies like I did (including my stepsister) and wouldn't give them away to people who wouldn't look after them properly. I know some parents buy rabbits for their children, and soon the novelty wears off and the rabbit is left neglected.

Last edited:
If that's your only reason for breeding, why not direct them to the breeder you got yours from?

Is it worth risking your does life for?

Back