• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wretched myxi in my garden :( how can i ...

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
... help the poor babies to the bridge?

the guy who does the big garden has seen 3 this morning. they all managed to run away when they saw/heard/sensed him but we have lots of wildies so i have a horrible sick feeling in my guts now that this is just the tip of the iceberg:cry:

i've just seen 2 possibles. one had one eye swollen and the other one was just still, even tho there was a fair bit of noise (bin day today) so i presume they've only been struck with it recently? obviously the gardener doesn't work weekends (he's had to deal with several myxi buns over the years. he adores animals and couldn't let them suffer) so what should i do if - or when - i spot a very poorly bun? would any vet help it to the bridge? i couldn't do it and we have foxes around here so if i do see any, i will have to do something:cry:

my own 2 are now sulking as they have no more outside play time. i know it won't protect them 100%, neither will their vaccine after all the horrible stories i've read on here lately. they both had their 6 monthly jab on 9th sept so i'm hoping they have as much immunity as possible right now.

any advice welcome. thanks.

Yes, if you could catch it, a vet would help it across.

If you do take it to the vets take it in something you can throw away (like a cardboard box), so that you don't have to reuse the container they have been in.

Also, maybe use something like a tarpaulin to cover the seat in your car so that it can easily be bleached and cleaned after.

thanks sky-o (again!).

its usually so lovely to sit here watching the buns but today i just feel so miserable for them. we've had so many gorgeous litters this year alone:(

I would also treat your clothes and car with a flea product and then change your clothes and shower. If the bun is carrying fleas they could hop off onto you and then into your home :( It's a big risk if you do pick one up to take to the vet. I realise this is a difficult dilemna so just be prepared - change of clothes, perhaps use boot of car so can be disinfected and flea sprayed afterwards - tarp idea is a good one.
I'm so sorry, must be so upsetting to see. :cry:

I would also treat your clothes and car with a flea product and then change your clothes and shower. If the bun is carrying fleas they could hop off onto you and then into your home :( It's a big risk if you do pick one up to take to the vet. I realise this is a difficult dilemna so just be prepared - change of clothes, perhaps use boot of car so can be disinfected and flea sprayed afterwards - tarp idea is a good one.
I'm so sorry, must be so upsetting to see. :cry:

its horrible:( really sunny today and there are 3 babies playing by the hedge without a care in the world with big bun close by watching them. i feel so useless sat in here.

would love to open the windows as its warm but i'm paranoid now about the insects.

You poor thing. It's heartbreaking isn't it. I would want to do the same as you if I found one/some with that disgusting disease. It's dreadful to think of what they'll go through.

If you didn't have your own buns it would be different but it's something to really think about - you wouldn't forgive yourself if they caught it.

Perhaps if you have any nice neighbours, they might be able to help?

The gardener sounds like a lovely man too, it's always warming to know.

Am sorry for you - and those poor buns. xx

Me and my friend caught a wild myxi bun by throwing a box over it, then gently lifting the box enough to get my hand on its scuff. We put him/her inside the box then carried him/her off to the vets (which was closed). Eventually we got him/her to my cousins house were we called a wildlife place to come and collect it. Poor little thing was such a mess :cry:

I know its a horrible thing to say, but i dont suppose you know anyone with a gun who could shoot them? Personally i'd never do that, but ive seen myxi kill buns and its awful!

the gardener is a lovely bloke and i know he won't let them suffer. just scared in case it kicks off at the weekend. selfish of me i know but i couldn't do the deed myself. they will be taken to have their suffering stopped:( i'll sort that somehow if i need to.

Me and my friend caught a wild myxi bun by throwing a box over it, then gently lifting the box enough to get my hand on its scuff. We put him/her inside the box then carried him/her off to the vets (which was closed). Eventually we got him/her to my cousins house were we called a wildlife place to come and collect it. Poor little thing was such a mess :cry:

I know its a horrible thing to say, but i dont suppose you know anyone with a gun who could shoot them? Personally i'd never do that, but ive seen myxi kill buns and its awful!

My ex used to shoot the myxi buns at my parent's house. Sadly, this got him really into shooting and now he goes shooting healthy things...rabbits, pheasants, etc. One of the main reasons we split up actually, couldn't bare the idea that he enjoyed killing bunnies :cry:

Back