• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More sad experimenting-on-rabbits news

This is awful :evil::( Poor things.

Totally agree with Jack's Jane that this is entirely unnecessary research.

:evil:

I would refuse treatment. Having a womb is not essential to your own life.

Sorry, but IMO its just wrong

Couldn't agree more! It's not as if it's a life or death situation - just some scientist out to make a name for himself and a bit of money! This type of experiementation makes me so angry and not just because it's rabbits. I know I could poss upset a few people here but if a woman can't have a child naturally then she should look to adoption. I don't believe it's a persons right to a child - it's a priviledge to be blessed.

Last edited:
I know I could poss upset a few people here but if a woman can't have a child naturally then she should look to adoption. I don't believe it's a persons right to a child - it's a priviledge to be blessed.

Completely agree :evil: I don't know how anyone could consider it a 'right' to bear children, we're overpopulating the planet enough as it is without surgical intervention :?

It always seem's to be the poor rabbit that suffer's the most when it comes to experimenting.

And yet hardly any research is done to get meds licenced for use on Rabbits to treat various ailments they may develope

AFAIK Baytril is the ONLY abx licensed for systemic use in Rabbits
Even Metacam isn't licenced !!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The more I hear about this the more :evil: I am getting.

If a woman cant conceive naturally for whatever reason then maybe looking into adopting the thousands of kids in care would be a better way forward.
I just dont get this 'right to have a baby' view. Surely mankind's ability to procreate has to have some 'natural' regulation.
IMO if it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be.

If a woman cant conceive naturally for whatever reason then maybe looking into adopting the thousands of kids in care would be a better way forward.
I just dont get this 'right to have a baby' view.

Exactly Jane.
I once worked in a 30 bedded gynae ward. 1 poor soul had cancer of the uterus & another cancer of the ovaries.
Of the remaining 28 patients, 50% had babies & didn't want them; & the other 50% wanted babies & couldn't have them.:roll::roll:

Couldn't agree more! It's not as if it's a life or death situation - just some scientist out to make a name for himself and a bit of money! This type of experiementation makes me so angry and not just because it's rabbits. I know I could poss upset a few people here but if a woman can't have a child naturally then she should look to adoption. I don't believe it's a persons right to a child - it's a priviledge to be blessed.

I agree with what you're all saying about accepting that some people just can't have babies. I've always had a very firm view that there are many unwanted babies in the world and we should look after those before having our own. I've even suggested this to other half - he was less than impressed!!!! :?

Anyhow, I have 3 points to make about these sorts of discussions in general:

1. Scientists do not make money out of making advances in medical science, they are generally very poorly paid and don't make money from licensing a drug as this doesn't happen, its out of their hands by this point. Its the drug companies that make money, scientists seem to do it 'for the good of people' etc.

2. I am all for limiting the use of animals in research but it can't just be limited to life or death situations, without doing the research on other things such as research into antibiotics and the basic research on disease pathways etc it will never be translated into clinical research which is the 'life or death' stuff. Also, prevention is much better than cure.

3. People talk (its been said somewhere in this thread and always comes up in animal testing threads) about boycotting treatments that aren't cases of life and death cos they've been tested on animals - every single licensed drugs has to go through animal efficacy and toxicology before they can go to human trials, and then licensed for use. So to do this an individual would need to boycott all drugs - lemsips, paracetamol, antibiotics etc and also a lot of investigative treatments like MRI scans for joint issues etc etc.

Just some things to think about. I am not wanting to start a huge heated debate just balance the view slightly so please take this as it was meant.

Last edited:
They could just use strains of bacteria to test on when it comes to drugs. I'm doing a chemistry degree and hope to go into lab work, however only lab work that tests on bacteria instead of animals, as I never wish to support animal testing.

The actual topic of this thread I agree with being completely and utterly horrific, it isn't a life or death situation, it's quite greedy really.

They could just use strains of bacteria to test on when it comes to drugs. I'm doing a chemistry degree and hope to go into lab work, however only lab work that tests on bacteria instead of animals, as I never wish to support animal testing.

The actual topic of this thread I agree with being completely and utterly horrific, it isn't a life or death situation, it's quite greedy really.

Agree 100% and its reflective of the 'I want so I WILL have' society we live in.

I think the whole idea is obscene

I agree with what you're all saying about accepting that some people just can't have babies. I've always had a very firm view that there are many unwanted babies in the world and we should look after those before having our own. I've even suggested this to other half - he was less than impressed!!!! :?

While I disagree with experimenting on rabbits for the purpose, and totally agree with Jane that as it's not lifesaving, it's just selfish (ie. human happiness is more important than rabbit life), I have to say I have always wanted a baby, so so badly, to carry it and raise it, and it have my eyes and OH's smile, etc. and adopting just wouldn't be the same. So I would have a very very hard time 'accepting that some people just can't have babies' if it happened to me. Bringing up someone else's baby just isn't the same. And I'm sorry if you think that's selfish, but it's the only thing I've ever wanted, and the only thing that would make me truly happy. I think it's hard for some people to understand - if you've never had that longing, that ache inside you, then you couldn't understand.

While I disagree with experimenting on rabbits for the purpose, and totally agree with Jane that as it's not lifesaving, it's just selfish (ie. human happiness is more important than rabbit life), I have to say I have always wanted a baby, so so badly, to carry it and raise it, and it have my eyes and OH's smile, etc. and adopting just wouldn't be the same. So I would have a very very hard time 'accepting that some people just can't have babies' if it happened to me. Bringing up someone else's baby just isn't the same. And I'm sorry if you think that's selfish, but it's the only thing I've ever wanted, and the only thing that would make me truly happy. I think it's hard for some people to understand - if you've never had that longing, that ache inside you, then you couldn't understand.

I am sure that if someone longs for a baby of their own (although I admit I just cannot identify with that feeling what-so-ever) then I am sure that the inability to have one would be very hard to accept. But I still believe that there has to be a line that isnt crossed when it comes to Fertility Treatments. The idea of a womb transplant based on research involving animal experiments is most definately crossing the line of being ethical.

I struggle to live with the idea that I have to take medication that was definately tested on animals. But to use a proceedure that is not life saving but just fulfilling a want is something I personally think is wrong.

before i start please dont shoot me down for this its just my view.i feel that if a woman cannot conceive a child due to different reasons then i feel that a womb transplant would be ok.the longing for your own child is something amazing that an adoptive child cannot fill.ok i dont agree with the animal testing but if theres means and ways to allow a woman to be a mother then i think that its fine.

I am sure that if someone longs for a baby of their own (although I admit I just cannot identify with that feeling what-so-ever) then I am sure that the inability to have one would be very hard to accept. But I still believe that there has to be a line that isnt crossed when it comes to Fertility Treatments. The idea of a womb transplant based on research involving animal experiments is most definately crossing the line of being ethical.

I struggle to live with the idea that I have to take medication that was definately tested on animals. But to use a proceedure that is not life saving but just fulfilling a want is something I personally think is wrong.

Just to clarify Jane, I completely agree with you - I wouldn't condone experimenting on animals for the purpose. I was simply disagreeing with BevBunny that people who can't conceive should just accept it and adopt, because it's not the same at all.

ETA: It's specifically a baby I long for, not just a child, and it's almost impossible to adopt a baby. If I knew I was never going to have a baby in my life, even one that wasn't genetically mine, I don't think I could carry on. I'd see no point in life.

Last edited:
Back