• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Where are lymph nodes located? U/D - our buns has passed on.

JsGypsy

Young Bun
Been having some issues with our bun Twitch of late. He's currently on meds for an enlarged heart.

Last few days his appetite has gone downhill, no poos, etc. This happened last week as well, but after being seen by the vet and given an injection, once he started pooing again he was coming around to his old self. So, back to the vets again yesterday evening. He was examined, and given another gut stimulant injection. We are going to try decreasing the frusimide in case that is causing the constipation/gut problems as it is a diuretic.

So, since last night, his breathing has become more rapid. I started him on critical care as he hadn't really started eating anything. He's even ignored some of his favourites. I got up about an hour ago to check on him, and I've syringed some more water into him and given him more c/c. Looks like he's poo'd since as well.

But, while I had him out, I was feeling around his head and neck area. I've found a lump in the neck area. If you can imagine when a bun is down on their belly, feet forward, feel for the shoulder and move towards the center of the chest, I can feel the lump on the left side. It moves quite easily, smaller than a pea, and perhaps somewhat elongated. Is this a location where a lymph node might be?

He's had a small lump in his belly too that we've known about since this past summer. They used a scan and said it was an enlarged lymph node. I suppose I could have missed this new one before, but this is the first I have felt it there.

At this stage I am not sure what to do now. The way his breathing is, I'm worried that yet another trip to the vet will stress him out even more and not be good for him at all. So I can only think that the next trip will be if he starts to get much worse, and in that case we might have to put him to sleep. I don't want him suffering any more, and I would not want to have them do any type of surgery.

Last edited:
If I am understanding your description correctly then yes, it could be an enlarged lymph node.

Has he had any antibiotics incase he actually has a secondary Respiratory tract infection -ie secondary to his heart condition ?

Lymphodenopathy can occur as a result of infection.

Thanks for your reply. He had been started on two different lots of antibiotics at the beginning before they realized his heart was enlarged. We did finish the course of antibiotics.

Unfortunately this morning Twitch passed on. So I don't think we will ever really know the cause - I'm not going to have an autopsy done. We are going to bury him in the garden, under his favourite bush he liked to nibble on.

Not sure if you have/will post in the RB section so just wanted to say how very sorry I am that you lost Twitch.

Binky free little one. xxxx

I was just about to reply to your post on lymph nodes when I scrolled down and found that Twitch had sadly passed away. :cry: Gosh i'm so sorry it was so very quick, but I hope you can take comfort in that he didn't suffer. I'm sure he'll be very happy and at peace under his favourite bush. So sorry for your loss :cry:

Back