• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New indoor bunny cage- Update

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Hi

Hubby and I are thinking of purchasing a new indoor cage for Jimbles but are obviously looking for something on a larger scale than he currently has, at the moment he is only in his cage when no one is home but that is quite rare for any longer than a couple of hours as I am currently not working but looking towards the next couple of months when I hope to be going back to work I couldnt bare to see him in the cage he has for a full day as there really is not much room, PETS AT HOME RABBIT 100 GUINEA PIG AND DWARF RABBIT CAGE Item number: 14490D.
Jimby is a dwarf lop but he is not a small boy we have been told he would not be classed as a 'dwarf' rabbit size.
We were looking in to PETS AT HOME RABBIT 100 TWO TIER GUINEA PIG AND DWARF RABBIT CAGE Item number: 24668, because it has two levels but I guess realisticly it does not offer much more room for him.

Just wondering if anyone could offer some advise on indoor cages?

Rachael

Last edited:
I used to have Rimmi in an indoor cage, but only ever overnight, hes a small nethie at a whopping 800 g (lol) We now dont use the indoor cage at all, instead he has most of our empty spare bedroom, we seporated it off with NIC cubes and made levels etc. I think this is a much better way, its so bright and its nice to be able to sit in there with him. You could go to your nearest B&Q and get a pack or two of them (mesh shelving units that you clip together, £30 a pack for 24 grids) plus it allows you to be creative etc and make it bigger as you buy more packs etc etc.

:D

The only thing with doing that is that Jimby is too young to be 'trusted' soley on his own outside a cage as he chews ... everything!! :lol:

I found this cage on PET CENTRE ONLINE Ferplast Rabbit 120 Cage & Accessories (57053417)

Ferplast Rabbit 120 Cage With Accessories

Ideal for 2 dwarf rabbits or guinea pigs.

Complete with hay rack and water bottle.
Easy access via the lift-up front. The front lifts up in two sections.

Width: 58.5cm

Height: 49cm

Length: 119cm

Would this work?

The only thing with doing that is that Jimby is too young to be 'trusted' soley on his own outside a cage as he chews ... everything!! :lol:

I found this cage on PET CENTRE ONLINE Ferplast Rabbit 120 Cage & Accessories (57053417)

Ferplast Rabbit 120 Cage With Accessories

Ideal for 2 dwarf rabbits or guinea pigs.

Complete with hay rack and water bottle.
Easy access via the lift-up front. The front lifts up in two sections.

Width: 58.5cm

Height: 49cm

Length: 119cm

Would this work?

Always ignore recommendations like these.... they are never true or based on the tiniest bun you can get.

You can make a lid or make the sides so high that your bun cannot escape the enclosure you make for him.....

And as for chewing... I know some people may not agree but try a spray bottle when you catch them chewing... not forcefully or on so high they get soaked..... :D

I would reccommend a NIC set up like I suggested, also because of height, buns need to be able to stretch upright..... some indoor cages limit this. :?

Good luck x

I just made a NIC cage. i ordered 2 packs of ebay and it cost just over £30 inc delivery. I've put their dog crate in there, the big plastic box i use to store food, and the other box whihc has their other stuff in. This gives them some levels to play on. I've got broken ribs at the minute so am a bit limited, but as soon as I feel up to it I'll be extended and revamping. I LOVE NIC cubes. I have an odd shaped, teeny tiny spare roomm and they will allow meto make the best possible use of it :D

How about the largest dog crate (4ft) with an internal shelf fitted by yourselves (very easy to do - just 2 lengths of wood and a flat piece!!).

Add loads of hay and a box to sit in/on and they are fine for a small bun who is out for several hours a day.

we bought ours here: http://www.ukdogcrate.co.uk/ (though now all our buns free range indoors and we just have the Lindam tall 'dog gates' to seperate them from each others rooms

Last edited:
I just made a NIC cage. i ordered 2 packs of ebay and it cost just over £30 inc delivery. I've put their dog crate in there, the big plastic box i use to store food, and the other box whihc has their other stuff in. This gives them some levels to play on. I've got broken ribs at the minute so am a bit limited, but as soon as I feel up to it I'll be extended and revamping. I LOVE NIC cubes. I have an odd shaped, teeny tiny spare roomm and they will allow meto make the best possible use of it :D

Me too.... I did use cardboard boxes (flattened) to split the room before (the door doesnt shut) but it made his area so dark.... I love building hiding holes and levels with the NIC cubes :D

Where can we get hold of some of these NIC cubes?
This is going to sound really stupid... but are they 'idiot proof' :lol: making them I mean, I am not exactly creative and get a bit confused when putting things together are they easy to do so? :oops:

This is driving me crazy!! :evil: I can not seem to find anywhere in the UK to actually buy these cubes!!
Can anyone advise me please?

Dog crates are popular for indoor buns.

Also for reference nothing about dwarf lops is dwarf, its actually just the name - they are medium size buns. My Dwarf lop is my biggest bun and far heavier than the lot!

Lol yeah I was suprised when we were told Jims is a dwarf lop as he is not what I would class as a dwarf. :lol: He is my little sausage hehe

Quick question, is it true that the larger the breed the shorter the life? What sort of life span are dwarf lops meant to reach... please say a long time.

Lol yeah I was suprised when we were told Jims is a dwarf lop as he is not what I would class as a dwarf. :lol: He is my little sausage hehe

Quick question, is it true that the larger the breed the shorter the life? What sort of life span are dwarf lops meant to reach... please say a long time.

I dont think different breeds have diff life spans bun some breeds can be prone to certain illnesses like breeds of dogs.... shorter faced buns like lops can be prone to breathing difficulties, smaller buns like nethies can be more prone to dental problems..... but this isnt always the case. Depends on their history, their parents health etc etc.

As long as the bun is cared for, has all the vet care he needs, eats plenty of hay to keep his digestion and teeth down, eats the right amount of pellets (better than muesli as muesli has cereals and seeds which was cause weight gain) and you vacs against VHD and myxi then he should live a good life. Things sometimes happen but rabbits are hard to predict.

Good luck :D

Ps, get the cubes from Ebay... they are well cheap, they work in the same way, its just a bunch of panels and clips, I would advise you get some zip wire though to make it secure :D

Thank you so much for all your help, I have looked at the ones from Amazon and think we will go with those as long as they are the same as NIC Cubes.
How many packs should I get, the size cage I would like to be would be around:

length just under 5ft,
height, maybe two stories (not sure how to do this but would like one section to be at least 2ft and the other maybe 1 ft 1/2
depth around 2- 2ft 1/2.

Thank you so much for all your help, I have looked at the ones from Amazon and think we will go with those as long as they are the same as NIC Cubes.
How many packs should I get, the size cage I would like to be would be around:

length just under 5ft,
height, maybe two stories (not sure how to do this but would like one section to be at least 2ft and the other maybe 1 ft 1/2
depth around 2- 2ft 1/2.

I would start off with two packs then, and then get another if you need another, I only needed to cover one wall and I didnt make a roof and I used 1 and a half packs.... You should see how high your boy can jump, mine cant jump more than 2 NIC cubes so his enclosure is 2 high but some people need 3 .....

I forgot about a lid!! Also forgot about doors, hmmm how do I do this?

He can jump pretty high, we have a small wooden divide between his room and our room which is 2ft and he clears it!! :shock:

Back