• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ideas for eric & panacur....

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
last ditch attempt to panacur eric and it hasn't worked:(

originally tried the paste. he refused the syringe (refused to eat at all), ate around the paste when it was 'hidden' in a herb sandwich. got majorly stressed when i tried the towel wrap think. (eric and stress = tum problems).

next i tried the granules mixed with food. nope. may have had a tiny bit over a few days but certainly not the whole dose he should have.

today i have the liquid. carefully syringed his 0.3ml on a fenugreek crunchie and he has nibbled around the edge:shock: i've never known him walk away from a half eaten crunchie but he refuses to eat it. now he has the major hump, heel flicking etc - he's obviously not a happy bunny.

PLEASE does anyone have a bun that is so difficult to medicate that could give me ideas of what else to try? i really am at a loss. esme has taken hers and obviously i need to do them both together (although the vet has said for 10 days, even when i queried the 28 days).

Have you tried syringe training him? That will be of no use in the short term, but next time he needs meds it might be.

I always find the least stressful way is to use a bit of force..if you can put him on a firm surface, hold him really firmly with him bum between the crook of your elbow and your body, with your left hand holding his head, with your right hand hold the syringe and find the gap behind his front teeth, then squirt. This way it is over quickly? If he is a real wriggler I guess this would be difficult though :?

how would i go about syringe training him sky-o? after the hideous palava when he was really poorly as a baby, if he even sees a syringe he legs it then goes on hunger strike:roll:

i've tried the force thing before before louise (not even wrapping him in a towel worked) and even roping in the OH to help it proved nigh on impossible. 2 adults having such a prob with a netherland dwarf is quite embarrassing:oops:

What happens if you stick a syringe filled with say cranberry juice or apple juice or anything safe that is liquid and yummy through the bars? Just offer it once or twice a day (morning and evening like if you were giving meds) and if he comes over syringe him a bit of 'yummy'. He will eventually learn it contains really nice things. Which sounds like it would be a start to him not being so terrified.

What happens if you stick a syringe filled with say cranberry juice or apple juice or anything safe that is liquid and yummy through the bars? Just offer it once or twice a day (morning and evening like if you were giving meds) and if he comes over syringe him a bit of 'yummy'. He will eventually learn it contains really nice things. Which sounds like it would be a start to him not being so terrified.

i'll try that for future meds, thank you:D just need to find something he finds yummy - doesn't like any juice i've tried him with before but it had got medicine in:?

through the bars?:lol: if only it were that simple - he's a free range house bun so i have to catch him first;)

i'll try that for future meds, thank you:D just need to find something he finds yummy - doesn't like any juice i've tried him with before but it had got medicine in:?

through the bars?:lol: if only it were that simple - he's a free range house bun so i have to catch him first;)

:lol:Bars could be a challenge then. Does he have a specific feed time? Could you offer it when he comes running for food, but before food? He'll soon learn its a treat. Does he have any favourite fresh foods? They can always be useful for times like this, by like soaking them in water and then using the water in the syringe, or food processing them up and giving them that way.

Does he eat banana? Could you put it in a piece of banana ;) Ronnie refuses point blank to have panacur, luckily when i give him nana he never even notices and just nom noms it up xXx

:lol:Bars could be a challenge then. Does he have a specific feed time? Could you offer it when he comes running for food, but before food? He'll soon learn its a treat. Does he have any favourite fresh foods? They can always be useful for times like this, by like soaking them in water and then using the water in the syringe, or food processing them up and giving them that way.

thank you so much for these ideas - it doesn't solve my immediate issue with him but i will def syringe train him somehow for future.

he came running for his treat earlier but nibbled around the edge, avoiding the panacur. same as he did when i put it on mint. and basil. and extra fine green beans (even tried to hollow a bean out and squirt it in but he sussed it:lol:).

wish i was as clever as eric:roll:

I'd second the liquid mixed with some dilute apple juice in a syringe - and training him to take the syringe.

Someone else on here once mentioned squirting the paste into a sugar snap pea pod and closing the pod back up again?! Might be worth a try? :?

Naughty Eric :love:

Does he eat banana? Could you put it in a piece of banana ;) Ronnie refuses point blank to have panacur, luckily when i give him nana he never even notices and just nom noms it up xXx

i wondered that as he does enjoy a bit of nana. i only give it to him rarely tho so 10 days of banana may be asking for trouble:? i still can't believe he nibbled all the way around a crunchie!

i wondered that as he does enjoy a bit of nana. i only give it to him rarely tho so 10 days of banana may be asking for trouble:? i still can't believe he nibbled all the way around a crunchie!

If you do a thin bit of banana and then the panacur and then another thin bit of banana it might work well.

Also, when you give it to him are you stressed? He might be sensing that, if you are.

I'd second the liquid mixed with some dilute apple juice in a syringe - and training him to take the syringe.

Someone else on here once mentioned squirting the paste into a sugar snap pea pod and closing the pod back up again?! Might be worth a try? :?

Naughty Eric :love:

he doesn't like pods - tried that one too! i doubt he'd take apple juice - doesn't like apple either! i wonder if there's such a thing as banana flavour watery drinks:?

naughty eric is flopped at my feet now looking so darn cute - i'm sure he realises the stress he's causing:roll:

If you soak banana in water then the water takes the banane flavour (I had a bun who only drank banana water). Might be worth a try.

If you soak banana in water then the water takes the banane flavour (I had a bun who only drank banana water). Might be worth a try.

glad i'm not the only one with a peculiar bun! eric WILL have his panacur one way or another:evil:

no, i'm not stressed at all. i've also tried lying on the floor so he doesn't feel any threat approaching with whatever contains the panacur and he's quite happy to play and snuggle but as soon as he senses medicine, he's off.

Hi

We are on day three of Panacur here. Im sure you have tried this but so far covering Presleys eyes and doing a quick squirt in his mouth has been working quite well. Then giving him his broccoli and apologising alot!!

Have you tried smearing it on his feet so he has to groom it off?

I was just going to suggest the same. I found this has worked with Baytril with Ernie, but not sure if he really got all the dose.:oops::oops:But I figured soemthing was better than nothing

BTW - Eric sounds just like My Eric!!! Must be something to do with the name:lol::lol:

We're hoping to take our 3 to the vets for their Myxi jabs tomorrow evening - that should be interesting:?:?

success !!!!

eric has eaten his tasty treat:D fenugreek crunchie with the panacur dose squirted on, left to dry and topped with a sliver of banana!!

thanks for all the advice and tips.....just 9 more doses to go:roll:

Back