• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help needed- floppy bunny.

flowergirls

Warren Scout
Hi
I haven't been on here in ages- still have my 5 rabbits and all's been great with them all year- until today- Rose, one of the flowergirls (3.5 years, fully vaccinated) is ill- she's conscious and breathing but in a floppy state in the hutch- it's not stasis I don't think- when Bluebell had that she was 'tense' somehow, Rose is all floppy- there's no obvious sign of injury- and she even looks alert in her face.
I know I need to get her to a vet asap but if anyone has any ideas in the next couple of hours before I can get here there please help.
Thankyou.
Rachel

Id just try to keep her as warm as possible, maybe bring her inside and get her on a heat pad if possible.
Vibes for Rose xx

Personally I would be getting her to the vet now. I don't wish to alarm you but one of our foster mums found one of her bunnies floppy although still quite bright in the morning. It took us half an hour to get him into the vets and he died on the table. There may be nothing as dramatically wrong with your bunny but he needs to be checked out as an emergency. If you phone up the vets they should be able to squeeze you in.

i found my smudge all floppy in his hutch, we rushed straight to the vets and he died as we got there, half an hour after he went floppy.

i would get to the vets now.

Like others have said, all the bunnies I have found floppy bar one who really did have a Vitamin E/Selenium deficiency have died within about half an hour, floppiness can be a symptom of so many illnesses besides a deficiency, (one of mine was heart, the other pneumonia) that it needs urgent medical attention.

Best of luck.

Thankyou so much everyone.
I feel so silly but she seemed absolutely back to normal within half an hour although I am keeping a close eye on her obviously.
She was a rescue rabbit and is quite scatty and not normally 'handleable'- it definitely wasn't normal for her to be totally floppy like that- but she is now scatting about like normal.
I spoke to vet but didn't take her in- we decided to see what happened. I will now do some reading up on the ideas some of you posted in case this is going to be a problem repeated.
Thankyou for helping me like that- I hadnt logged on for 4 months- but I knew where to come.

Rachel x

Back