• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rescue bun with stiff legs

Chris10

Young Bun
Yesterday Gypsy got a new boyfriend- Frodo. We got him from our local rabbit rescue and I was advised he was kept in a hutch that was far too small for him so he was unable to stretch his legs properly, therefore they are poorly conditioned.

The rescue I got him from are very good with vet checks and things and advised me that the vets have said this stiffness should ease up in time and with plenty of space. He has been aged by vets at approx. 5 years old but the way his poor legs are he looks older, bless him.

My question is, apart from having full run of my house (which he now has) is there anything else I can do for my new little man to help him with his rehabilitation? I have given dogs/ rats cod liver oil for joint problems in the past, but as buns are veggies Im stumped as to what I can do to speed up recovery for my little man. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Well done for taking this little fella on.
I haven't got any real experience of this, but I'd guess that it might be better to gradually increase his exercise area so that he doesn't do himself any damage by over doing things too soon?

I guess that once he has full freedom he may start binkying and jumping around like a loon, and if he has muscle wastage etc then his bones may not be properly protected.Probably best to build him upo gradually.

Thanks for the advice, he only arrived yesterday and hasnt ventured very far from his pen to be honest but I will limit his activity to just the living room for now as what you say makes sense about building his activity level up slowly :D

I wish I could give you good advice but I'd better leave that to someone a bit more experienced in this area.

I know it's not the same but a friend of mine saved some battery hens and when she got them home and into the pen, they just moved 2 steps forward and 2 steps back for the first few hours because that's all they knew. Their legs weren't properly developed and when they walked they were very hunched. But after time they soon became more flexible and are now enjoying their newfound freedom.

I just wanted to say a big well done to you - how nice you are to have given this bun a new chance in life. He won't know himself with all that space. And love.

x

All sounds like brilliant advice to me. Hope he starts to get better soon. Such a nice thing to do taking a bun that needs a little extra.

If he was kept in a small hutch for all of these years it is possible that as well as having underdeveloped muscles or muscle wasting to some degree, that he may also not have laid down sufficient bone mass and may be a little osteopoenic or osteoporotic? I'm just guessing here. This would mean he might be more likely to fracture certain bones so I agree with giving him plenty of space but allowing him to adjust to this over time, so increase his area in stages, allowing him to build up muscle function gradually to support his bones which 'could' be a little weaker than normal. :? I shouldn't think this would take too long however and certainly don't think he should be confined too much. I'm just saying take it carefully.
It may be that a diet slightly higher in protein and calcium than normal 'might' be a good idea (although in rabbits both of these cause problems in high amounts so you would need to discuss this with your vet). Plenty of sunlight though would be great for his Vit D :)

Some people on here have used glucosamine I believe?

If he does have some arthritic changes - then a low dose course of NSAID's might be a good idea? But obviously the less meds the better.
Such a lucky bun to have found a kind and caring home with someone willing to go that extra mile :)

Thanks for your advice everyone, apparently when the rescue had him neutered the vets did a thorough examination of his limbs while he was under GA. They advised he must be kept indoors otherwise his limbs would turn arthritic, but at the moment there are no signs of this.

I have got the excell pellets with glucosamine, but wondered if anyone has ever tried the liquid glucosamine that you just add to water (cant remember its name).

Couple of ideas, whats people's thoughts on heat pads for when I turn the heating off at night? (obviously when it gets a bit colder at night).

And should I be getting him something softer like vetbed to lie on, rather than his carpet cut offs. I just want him to be as comfortable as possible and delay the arthritis for as long as possible.

Thanks everyone

Vet beds are always a good choice in my opinion. They reflect heat back, especially the thermo flectabed (provided not a chewer as filled with special substance). They also cushion and support elderly or arthritic buns or buns with sore hocks.

I think your vet meant not 'live' outside. I see no reason why he could not exercise outside for an hour or less (as it is colder now) just to get some winter sunlight.

If he is inside he will probably not need a heat pad unless he is ill and can not maintain his body temp. :wave:

Thanks prettylupin, Im defo going to look into getting sum vetbed. I understand that the vet meant he shouldnt live outdoors but I live in an upstairs apartment, so unfortunately the only sunshine my buns get is thru the window or the occasional trip to my mams back garden!

All the advice is very much appreciated I think a trip to Jolleys is in order now!

Back