• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

those with big set ups

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I am looking for a small Hutch, I begrudge supporting the sale of small hutches through petshops, and feel if I can get a coule for the run/shed, then it is a couple more off the market, and a few buns saved from living in them :(

But my question is,Where can I find one!!!

There are 2 on ebay local ones near to FIL work (I don't drive), but there are very few who will deliver on places like ebay etc. Just hope I get these, they are currently 99p and £2,20!!

But by buying them you are surely just encouraging them to make more. If something doesn't sell companies discontinue it.

It's a shame you do not live near me, i have a few that are just sitting waiting to go to the dump.

But by buying them you are surely just encouraging them to make more. If something doesn't sell companies discontinue it.

I would have thought that by buying second hand, through ebay (which is where I have seen the two ), preloved, free ads etc that you are avoiding a supply /demand chain that is linked to companies such as pet shops.

Kris, I have asked Elaine if she has any, but her space is limited, so no luck there. Your a bit far for FIL to drive to.

I am just thinking ahead, and hoping for a group of 6 to live happily there. but I have noticed when it rains persistenly, that the floor gets wet dispite the guttering (its getting wet at the front:roll::lol:) so I wanted a couple of places the buns can take refuge, go for a snuggle etc. I have the plastic boxes, but they are still at ground level, and I can imagine they could still get rather cold. Although Charlie has a lovely winter coat already!

It's a shame you do not live near me, i have a few that are just sitting waiting to go to the dump.

How big are they Kris? I've been looking for a small-ish one to put in the shed part of Alfie and Bubbles's aviary now winter is coming. :D

Lottielouise - Can you put a clear tarpaulin across the front? I've got a huge one that goes right across but even if you put one across half the front, say, it would give them a larger dry area. ;)

How about a coffee table? It would be nice and roomy for six and you could put an underbed storage box filled will hay underneath.

Why not try your local rescue?
When we have rabbits bought to us in their ridiculously small hutches we either burn them or let people have them for use in runs as shelters (but we take the doors off!)

I have a 3ft apex one, a 4ft one and possibly still have two 3.5ft ones (i chuck most behind shed until i rent a van!)

try free ads, gumtree, preloved, freecycle etc you may well get a freebie or a bargain oh and check local papers, i got my one from someone on ebay who said it was big she kept 4 buns in it till fox got em, (shudders to think) i removed the doors and scrubbed it down the 3.5ftx2.5ft "hutch" is a brilliant play house in the garden for my buns they love running in and out of it. i think by takingone off a private seller to use for this purpuse can only be a good thing. x

I am just thinking ahead, and hoping for a group of 6 to live happily there. but I have noticed when it rains persistenly, that the floor gets wet dispite the guttering (its getting wet at the front:roll::lol:)

Have you thought about getting the fly screen mesh. I have had it on the front of my shed for about 3 years now and the rain does not penetrate it unless it is serious driving rain when I get a small amount only come inside.

That way you will be keeping out the insects, helping keep it dry and also it reduces the affects of the wind as it is difficult to penetrate the tiny mesh.

Its not getting in that way, I don't think. I think it is dripping of the front onto the paving and moving backwards. At most it went back about 15-20 cm. Its not much considering how much rain we had.

But I am thinking about winter. I am wondering if I have the patience to take down the old one (I have managed to fix it) and have that in, at one end of the run, with a couple of smaller ones and a 3-4 ft one in the shed on legs, Im guessing they willl make great climbing frames too

you could get one off freecycle. I posted for a hutch and went to pick one up and it was a lot smaller than i hoped so i haven't put reggie in it. I did think with a good clean it could be a great shelter in the run though. It is about 4 foot long but only about 1 foot wide!

I have a 3ft apex one, a 4ft one and possibly still have two 3.5ft ones (i chuck most behind shed until i rent a van!)

Oooh, if you have a 3.5ft that would be ideal. Will pm you in a mo and can probably take some of the others to the dump for you if they'll fit in the car at the same time. ;);)

I would have thought that by buying second hand, through ebay (which is where I have seen the two ), preloved, free ads etc that you are avoiding a supply /demand chain that is linked to companies such as pet shops.

Ok, makes sense.

Back