• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding

LMc

Young Bun
Hey everyone.
Have done some searches on here and read up but just wondered if somebody could clarify that my bonding plan is correct.
OH and I are planning on bonding our two males on Sat.
Their two cages are side by side and they both just ignore each other.They dont really sit next to each other but there has been no aggression. When we are home they are free range in the house and we have a gate between two rooms and again are happy to eat next to each other with the gate in between, Im hoping this is al a good sign.
Our plan on Sat is to put them both in the bathroom (neutral area) all day and once they appear settled with each other put them both in a new cage and leave them in there for at least 48 hours (supervised) before we extend their territory. The cage is 6'x2'.
Does this sound ok? If there is no fighting we plan not to seperate at all.
Sorry for the long message, just new to this and want to make sure we do it properly.

Hi:wave: I'm assuming both males are neutered? Be prepared for chasing, fur pulling etc also be aware they may act differently when there is no gate/mesh between them.Be prepared to have to sit with them [and perhaps sleep by them] so get yourself some magazines or position a telly so you have something other than bunnies to look at.I would leave them longer than a day in the bathroom,my bunnies were in the toilet for a week before I moved them.
Best of Luck!!

Sounds good to m, I woudl start the bonding off with a car journey for them eitehr together in a box or in individual boxes.

I find tleaving them in the same space for 48 hours prior to moving them is better than starting them off and then moving them, as whereever you move them to they will have to sort out their dominance again. The least moves the better.

Where are you planning to put the cage you are putting them in. Try and ensure that where ever the cage goes that the room is cleaned thoroughly as the smells from that room of each other may set them off.

I second the car journey or a walk around the house in a carrier. It has really helped in both the bonds I have done.

eeek i have just read this! sorry no advice but if i have to leave my bunnies for 48 hours togehter in the bathroom when bonding i am going to have to do a rethink! there is bearly enough room in my bathroom for me let alone me and two bunnies!

I use the living room, or my spare bedroom, somewhere I can sleep comfortably with them.

Can I ask, they are both neutered? as you make no mention to it. Hormones have a big part to play in this.

Also make sure that you have everything ready before you put them together, a broom to seperate them, a squirty bottle, make sure you have gone to the loo, if you decide you are not doing it in there.

Thak you for your replies
Yeah they are both neutered and we have waited to do this so all hormones should definately have died down. The cage is gonna be in our bedroom, again neutral territory, so that we can sleep with them for a few nights. We were going to put the cage in the bathroom with them for the first few hours and then move them in the cage to the bedroom so that it wouldnt be completely new territiory again.
May try out the car ride too.
Am really nervous but cant wait for my boys to be together!

Back