• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just noticed Spudsey was bitten during bonding

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
:oops:I attempted to bond Spudsey with Bramble over a week ago, both at home and at their boarding place.

Both times resulted in them rolling about and it appeared that Spudsey (female) was pulling out brambles fur. The second time around when I separated them Bramble bit my hand (lovely top and bottom tooth mark) which I thought was probably intended for Spuds.

Checked both of them over the best I could, (spudsey doesn't like being handled, shes the wild bun) and left them for a week (apart!) when I went on holiday.

Picked her up on Sunday and have just noticed as she was standing upright that she has a huge scabby mess under her tummy :shock: Booked in at the vets at 10 past 6 but felt like an awful owner especially when the girl said "a week ago?" though this particular veterinary ass is also a bit grumpy so perhaps I'm taking it to heart:|

Looks like a made the right decision in Bramble going back to the rescue centre though! However now very reluctant to try and re-bond even though she was perfectly happy with Squirrel, would like to move her back in the house as a house bun but no room really and o/h would probably not agree!

Sorry for rambling, o/h away and no-one else to ramble at.......

It's REALLY hard to find wounds on rabbits, and often they do only come to light after they scab over.

I hope the vets has gone well, please update us when you can.

thanks, that makes me feel a bit better! The vet said she has come off lightly, been given anti-biotics for 5 days. Just got to keep an eye on it. If after five days a hole is under the scab then she'll need some more anti-biotics. She was good as gold at the vets :)

And while I was there one of the vet assistants asked me if I had got a letter that she had sent in the post...they have a stray bunny there who is looking for a new home. Went to see him and he's a lop eared bunny lovely sandy colour.....o/h said up to me if I decide to have him or not, though it does mean trying to bond....again!!!!!

suppose if I've now witnessed a good (but scary) 'normal' bonding, and now a not quite so good bonding I've seen it all apart from love at first sight :love:????

I recently bonded Dinky into my trio and Gus ended up with a few superficial wounds, I didn't notice until they scabbed over, even though I was checking him regularly, so don't feel bad. Sounds like this bun could be fate ;)

thanks :) I don't tend to pick her up that often as she hates being handled, though loves a hand through the cage stroking her cheek, in return I get licks :D

I think she was perhaps telling me that she had hurt her tum by stretching up against the run whilst I was sat there! "Look Mum hurt my tum!" :lol:

Maybe it is bunny fate...third time lucky and all that, plus he is very similar colouring to a bunny we had a few years back called Sandy, she was lurvely and o/h was smitten with her :love:

Don't feel bad, I don't think many buns manage binding without a few bald patches and grazes. Infact reading your thread prompted me to go and thoroughly check Lavender again (much against her will) as we're mid bond - I check thoroughly after any mounting scuffles but looking again now I see a large scrape which is now scabbing over. I missed it completely. Doesn't bother her though - she's currently in full binky mode around the living room! It doens't look at all infected, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I hope your bun gets better soon, and that your next bonding is a bit less stressful. :)

Don't feel bad, I don't think many buns manage binding without a few bald patches and grazes. Infact reading your thread prompted me to go and thoroughly check Lavender again (much against her will) as we're mid bond - I check thoroughly after any mounting scuffles but looking again now I see a large scrape which is now scabbing over. I missed it completely. Doesn't bother her though - she's currently in full binky mode around the living room! It doens't look at all infected, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I hope your bun gets better soon, and that your next bonding is a bit less stressful. :)

Thank you too, feeling sooo much better now! Yes fingers crossed next bonding is less stressful, and less nerve racking! hoping to try bunny at vets once spudseys war wound is better :)

Back