• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth Overlapping?

Laura09x

Young Bun
Yesterday i found out that my baby smudge has cut his mouth and his gum, i think he has bumped it on something as he has a bruise on his lip as i was checking him over to make sure he is fine i noticed his two bottom teeth are starting to over lap each other? is this serious should i be doing something about this?

He needs to be examined by a Vet as it sounds as though he has a malocclusion

If he is still a baby Rabbit then this is likely to be a congenital problem. It *might* mean he will eventually need to have his incisors removed. Regular Vet checks of his molars will also be needed.

Well when i say baby i mean about 4-5 months old, so you dont think this has anything to do with him bashing his teeth yesterday?
thanks!

Well when i say baby i mean about 4-5 months old, so you dont think this has anything to do with him bashing his teeth yesterday?
thanks!

:wave:Even if it is because he bashed his teeth yesterday, he will still need to see a vet asap as this teeth may be damaged at the roots or something.:?
Let us know how you get on at the vet:)

Please see a vet.This will mean his teeth will continue to grow cos they dont get ground together when he eats and they will need trimming.
My little girl has the same problem.

Yes he could have bashed them. When mine did this however he broke them off at the roots...but they only worked themselves loose the next day....up until the vet in the morning he was eating as normal and had only a visible cut on his lip despite me testing his teeth and giving him pain relief. It is important for a vet to check his incisors and peg teeth properly....if any are broken the others will need to be burred to ensure correct wear as they grow back. :wave:

Rabbit teeth grow. As long as the teeth are properly aligned and your rabbit has plenty to chew on, you can expect few or any teeth problems.

Teeth alignment is very important. Unfortunately, poor teeth alignment can be one of the reasons that a rabbit is offered as a pet. Actually, offering rabbits with teeth issues as a pet is not the problem; doing so without full disclosure is

/been to vets

:thumb: up for smudge, took him to the vets last week they said he is fine and that his teeth just needed a little trimming :):) so hes back binkying around :D

Back