• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the best way to administor antibiotics - U/D :)

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi, Ive got to syringe Baytril into Oreo twice a day - what is the best method?? We did it last night with me and my OH and a very wiggly bunny with it ending up everywhere!! :oops: and im worried im going to run out.

In the end I had to tip him back, hold his head while OH put it in, I know your not really meant to tip them back and im also worried about him choking :cry: is it ok to do it this way??

He really is so wiggly and throws his head about and clamps his mouth shut argghhh

Any tips??

Last edited:
Baytril tastes ghastly I'm told, very bitter so is not popular with the buns.

I wouldn't worry about running out, its not expensive, just give the vets a call say you lost some in the administration and get a bit more put out for you.

Some people add a little undiluted ribena or pineapple juice to improve the flavour but of course you need to watch the effect on the tum which may be dodgy from the antibiotics anyway. Perhaps a little peppermint essence? but certainly a nice treat afterwards.

I usually prepare the kitchen table, put out a folded towel, load the syringe and put it ready. Catch bun, sit them on the towel on the table bum to my tum, settle them, holding always, hand over shoulders stops upward movement. Leaning forward over them I use my left hand over the head to open the lips on the right hand side with my thumb, take syringe in right hand insert and squeeze slowly giving time for swallowing, some will just let it dripple out so go slow, any drips on the fur will go in when they clean up after (whilst swearing at you under their breath!) Offer a pellet, treat, rocket or herbs to get back in the good books.

Good luck!

Please dont administer anything to a Bun orally whilst they are on their back.
If they aspirate it then they are in serious trouble

I would try mixing a bit of fruit juice in with the Baytril to disguise the taste
Then wrap Bun up firmly in a towel so as just his nose/mouth is poking out
Then administer the dose by placing the syringe sideways into his mouth, just behind his incisors.

The easiest way i've found is to mix the dose with an inch piece of mushed up banana and they don't even notice its there, well if they do the lure of banana is too great and they eat it anyway!

I used to put Kermits Baytril in a sugar snap pea. Make a slip in the top, put the baytril in then feed the pea to bunster.....i had to do two peas as the time i done all in one he noticed and never ate it!

Inca wont eat sugarsnap peas, so i have to syringe into her mouth. I pick her up in a towel and kinda sit her like a baby cradled sitting up. Then put the baytril in.

Just try to be quick and get it first time, otherwise bunsters tend to struggle!

:wave: I put the bun between my legs on the floor, lean over on top of him, pin his head down with one hand and push the syringe in at the side of his mouth, behind his front teeth. Then give his fav treat straight away.

Sounds more brutal than it is:oops:

You could also try a towel over the back of the bun, pinning him down with your knees on the sides of the towel. I haven't tried this but have heard it works.

Good luck:)

I'm doing this at the moment with Patch. Me anad o/h wrap her up in a towel with just her head poking out as Jack's-Jane said and he props her upright on his lap with her head against his chest. I've heard Baytril doesn't taste nice so I dip the syringe in diluted apple juice and she laps it up! My vet also told me to hold the syringe on her tongue pointing to the other side of her mouth, not towards the back of the throat so she doesn't aspirate it.

I have dried apple treats that I feed her afterwards too, so once we start syringing she's pretty good cause she knows she gets treats afterwards. :lol:

I put it in mashed banana, also cut notches in slices of apple and squirt it in, and have also resorted to a tiny bit of strawberry jam too! I gave up on the major operation with a towel job - it was far too stressful for me and bun - and the little devils always managed to scratch me:lol:

Deb

I have always managed to administer it in banana, they know its there but don't want to miss out on the banana part :) Putting it in food though you have to watch and make sure they actually eat it x

Thank you so much everyone..

I think I will try the banana trick tonight and see how that goes :?

He does love it so he must have REALLY strong will power if he refuses it :lol:

OMG the banana went down a dream!! He had a few sniffs and knew what was on it but he couldnt resist and ate it all :D

Thanks again so much otherwise I would have spent a week+ tramatising myself and my little bun x

I tried putting pineapple and apple juice with Walter's baytril and he looked like I'd given him some lemon juice instead the face he pulled. He wouldn't even have really diluted stuff.

So I've resorted to putting it on a little bit of bread and wrapping it in a basil leaf. I tried putting it on a bit of apple, but he's not that fussed about apples either :roll:

Back