• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question *sensitive*

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Can i just ask why do you have to leave a dead bun in with their bonded bun for a bit?? Maybe ive got the wrong end of the stick but ive always wondered... is it so the other bun realises they have passed away? :cry:

I do this and I really think it helps them to understand.
It's heartbreaking to watch your bunny searching for their lost mate, not understanding why they aren't there, but this seems to happen less if the bunny has spent some time with the body xx

Can i just ask why do you have to leave a dead bun in with their bonded bun for a bit?? Maybe ive got the wrong end of the stick but ive always wondered... is it so the other bun realises they have passed away? :cry:

Yes...it gives tham a chance to understand and to help them with their grieving process :cry:

Yes, the idea is that otherwise the remaining bun would be confused about where their partner had vanished to.

When I have done this with my own buns, they have completely ignored their partner's body and shown no signs of being aware that anything has changed, but I continue to do it as all bunnies are different and I've heard other people say theirs have benefitted from it.

I don't do this, if I have a bun PTS, I don't put it back in with its partner. I think, regardless of how it is dealt with the partner will find it distressing.:(

I have done this with Summer and also with Sunshine. Both their bonded friends were able to accept quickly and easily that their friend had gone and why. Roger and Tilly even covered Summer's head when they had 'finished' with her. They were able to move on quickly. It just means that there is a level of understanding, as opposed to, like clutterydrawer said, vanishing, which can be very distressing for them.

I once saw a video of a bun who had died and his bond friend and it was so clear from that video that the bondmate needed that time to accept. She dragged food over to his mouth and tried to make him move, and when she realised he wouldn't she hopped away and carried on.

I have found this is very hard for me to do but beneficial for my buns. I wouldn't do it in all circumstances though, each one is different.

I did this with my buns too. When Fern died, i brought Phillip in and sat him next to her. He snuggled with her and sniffed her for a few minutes and then seemed to pick himself up and shake off and moved away from her. I do think it helped him understand that she had gone

Back