• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little seagull ran over.

fiona3

Warren Scout
This morning while driving to work through a village i saw a young seagull that had been hit by a car in the middle of the road. I thought it was dead until i drove near to it and it twitched its body. It was completely stunned and unable to move and loads of gulls and crows were flying overhead making a racket over it. I stopped the car and jumped out and spent a frantic few minutes watching while a bus! and a white van drive right over it! :shock: Why do folk not try to miss these poor creatures? It was a quiet road with loads of room to avoid the poor wee thing. I was feet away covering my eyes waiting for it to be squashed. I managed to pick it up and get it back to my car. A wee boy was watching from his window and shouted at me "is it ok?" I said i dont think so! But i will take it to a vet dont worry!

I got it back to my office and kept it warm and quiet and called the sspca to come pick it up. Within hours it was like having a box with a ferret in it at my feet! Well did it not make me look a fool flapping and jumping around while the inspector checked it out - no broken bones at all! One lucky little bird! One bus later it would have been squashed!
Its spending a night in the wildlife hospital and will be released tomorrow if its doing well.
So it came from a little industrial village living on chips and it will be released into the Fife seashore as soon as its better. Landed on its little webbed feet! ;)

What a happy ending to the story! Also such a kind heart you have, which many people seem to be missing! I've seen a few birds been squashed in the road as i drive past and as you say plenty of room! Such a sad society we live in!

Well done! if it hadn't been for you it would be dead now. It's a shame how often birds are hit by cars but are sometimes just winded but someone always seems to run over them before they can get their wind back and fly off.
That was one lucky Seagull. :)

Ah, that is lovely. I did that with a wild baby rabbit that had been hit but wasn't dead. I stopped the traffic while I picked it up and took it to the vets. Its horrid because like you, I drove past, thought it was dead and looked back in my mirror to see it moving. Very upsetting. What a fantastic outcome for the seagull. Well done!

Back