• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hello! need some help 2 rabbits died

:) hi all, new to ru need someone to shed some light on a situation for me?
i have (had) 4 rabbits until this morning! a 5 yr old netherland safe and well, a big white guy called blue(neutered) about 1yrs, then i received unexspectedly 2 new additions due to a neighbour having babys about march time.
thought to be girls, but when jess started well you know, he went to my neighbours in his own hutch until he could be done.
This morning to my horror sam (girl) who lives happily with blue was dead! with no obvious reason at all?
I went to tell my neighbour, who was already on way to me to tell me jess had passed too! really baffled.............. any got any ideas? surely to much of a coincidence?:(:(:(

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR REPLYS AND HELP :wave::wave:

Last edited:
no help im afraid, i know how awful that can be, i lost 2 of mine in separate hutches on the same night, mine passed because i was stupid enogh to use the local joiners sawdust which ended up being toxic:evil:
so i am sending you my love , :(

I am so very sorry for your loss.

The only way to be sure on why they died would be a post mortem. Not sure if this is still a possibility but if you have other rabbits it may be worth having. Had they had their jabs i.e. VHD and myxi?

thanks for reply

no help im afraid, i know how awful that can be, i lost 2 of mine in separate hutches on the same night, mine passed because i was stupid enogh to use the local joiners sawdust which ended up being toxic:evil:
so i am sending you my love , :(

thanks again, but whats this about toxic sawdust? i get mine free from a saw mill? freshly cut trees? whats toxic? i did give some to my neighbour too when he ran out!!:shock:

I am so very sorry for your loss.

The only way to be sure on why they died would be a post mortem. Not sure if this is still a possibility but if you have other rabbits it may be worth having. Had they had their jabs i.e. VHD and myxi?

hi and thanks for reply, my 2 older rabbits had vaccines but the unlucky ones did'nt, but there is no signs of any illness?

my two had postmortems and they both had enlarged livers which my vet said was from something toxic,and the sawdust was the only thing that it could have been, we started using it on the sunday and they were both dead by wednesday. the sawdust from my joiners had a mixture of all different woods in it, oak(which i have heard is not good for buns) pine, tanalised wood, all sorts in it. i now wont touch anything unless its from a pet store, it was a hard lesson learned, it was devastating for the whole family, it made me feel so guilty:cry:

I'm really sorry to hear about your poor bunnies :( It's bad enough losing one. Two at once must be terrible.
Have you used actual sawdust or wood shavings?
Sawdust is not supposed to be good for rabbit as they can inhale it. I think wood shavings have also caused some debate but I think they should be a little safer... I hope you manage to work out what happened, anyway.

Most RU members use Megazorb, which is safe, unlike sawdust or woodshavings.
I'm sorry for your loss xx

as well as disease, rabbits can die of fright. Would it be possible that a fox was in the gardens?

If so it could have visited both hutches.

Foxes are moving into new territory right now and visiting places you may not have seen them in before.

the other possibility is a food problem - did you share food stuffs?

I am sorry to hear of your losses.
VHD is the first thing that springs to mind. It can cause sudden death to rabbits without obvious symptoms.
You need to make sure your remaining rabbits are up-to-date with their VHD vaccination xx

as well as disease, rabbits can die of fright. Would it be possible that a fox was in the gardens?

If so it could have visited both hutches.

Foxes are moving into new territory right now and visiting places you may not have seen them in before.

the other possibility is a food problem - did you share food stuffs?

dont thnk it was a fox as i have chickens to that would of been easier target, plus my dogs would know if something was about? we dont share food either?

Sorry to hear about your buns.:cry:
I'm afraid I am no help here, but I hope you gets some answers.

Welcome to RU:wave:

Im so sorry for your loss.Im afraid VHD comes to mind,It can be very sudden and show very little symptoms

Hi and welcome to the forum, I am only sorry it is not in better circumstances.

I too would be inclinded to think VHD - personally I'd get a post motum done because if they had something serious your other buns could be at risk.

Back