PDA

View Full Version : Rex bunnies

*lily*
19-10-2009, 06:44 PM
How common is it exactly for Rexes to suffer from sore hocks?

After reading peoples experiences on here it has really put me off ever getting a Rex even though I think they are lovely.

*lily*
19-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Having an elderly person moment :roll:

Could this be moved to Health someone, please? :oops:

hurricanhoney
19-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't let it put you off rexes. Not all rexes have this problem. I have a dwarf lop cross who gets sore hocks occassionally I am helping him by putting fleecy blankets down. Touchwood I haven't had a problem with my rex.

Jack's-Jane
19-10-2009, 06:54 PM
In my experience ALOT has to do with breeding. Often more attention is paid to the 'cosmetic appearance' of the coat than the longterm health of the Rabbit.

I have several Rexes who have NEVER had sore hocks. But their overall coat is alot denser and probably not up to standard for showing.........

If a Rex has good fur covering on their feet at the age of 1 then so long as they are kept on a suitable substrate (soft deep hay or grass) and they are not allowed to become over-weight then they are probably not going to have a problem.

*lily*
19-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks both. Would being kept as a houserabbit be suitable for their feet? I have stripped wooden floors.

poppymoon
19-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks both. Would being kept as a houserabbit be suitable for their feet? I have stripped wooden floors.

i was advised against that when i had my homecheck as i adored stella and flora (mini rex girls) but we have carpet so that was a nope just in case.

Jack's-Jane
19-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Wooden floors and carpet dont do Rexes many favours

*lily*
19-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok thanks :wave:

Cornishlass
19-10-2009, 09:56 PM
My Rex is 18 months old - living in a wooden floored playhouse and patio run - no sign of the problem! It's not all Rexes.

amme
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
How common is it exactly for Rexes to suffer from sore hocks?

I have just adopted a rex rabbit. can someone tell me what a sore hock is please????

Amy104
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/images/gen_sore_hocks_websize.jpg

Its common in rexs because they don't have a lot of fur on their hocks to protect them.

PrincessPinky
02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
i have a mini rex he has never had sore hocks! He runs on the patio, in the house (carpet, tiles and wooden floors) :?

amme
02-11-2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/images/gen_sore_hocks_websize.jpg

Its common in rexs because they don't have a lot of fur on their hocks to protect them.

my bunny has that!!!! waht do i do now then???? he is on newspaper then wood shavings in the run bit of the rabbit hutch and hay in his bedding area. he has just got a normal wooden floor in his hutch.

Amy104
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
You can use sudocreme or similar if its a mild case, but if yours is as bad as the pic I'd reccommend a trip to the vets as you may need antibiotics to prevent infection.

Ideally you want to keep your bun on newspaper covered with a thick layer of soft hay throughout the whole hutch. Try to keep the enviroment as clean and dry as possible.

Mel D
02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi, My mini rex suffers quite badly from sore hocks but I do think she is overweight, I think she got them while she was using the corner toilet pan because it had a metal grill on top.
I usually put sudocrem on her hocks because sometimes they look really red.
I took her to the vets once about it he wasn't worried about it at all.

amme
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
thats great thankyou. we have got a tub of sudocream i will put some on him tomoro as he is tucked up nice and warm now in bed as its cold outside brrrrrr

ZakuraRabbit
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I have 8 rex-rabbits right now and only experienced sore hooks once.

That was a time when it was raining a lot for several days, so I stupidly neglected cleaning his hutch, also he wasn't let out on the run for a few days since the grass was all soggy. (They don't mind being out when it just rains a little, but a lot...that's a different story)
So the cage was dirty, wet, and he didn't get as much exercise as he usually wood...
Needless to say after this I've never neglected cage-cleaning because of bad weather, rather I prioritize cleaning it during big downpours since wet bedding is not good for bunny-feet...

As long as the cage is kept clean and the rabbit gets enough exercise (and doesn't get overweight) hopefully it should be fine:3

Minimallow
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I have two mini rex's. ONe was a breeders "reject" who does have slight hock problems and the other a rescue doesnt have any hock problems at all.

Amy104
03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Another point is to make sure your buns nails are kept trim. If they are long the rabbit stands differently so more weight is applied to the hock.

amme, I really would see a vet if your bun is as bad as the pic. Sore hocks can be quite serious if they get infected.

amme
03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
that would explain it then as when we first had the rabbit he did have quite long nails and he was living in a damp woodland area of a garden, but his hutch was dry but it did take some cleaning/scraping out when we got it.

I will try the sudocrem and see how that goes if it dosnt work after a day or 2 i will send him to the vets thankyou.

amme
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
ok whislt i am on the subject we are going to be making him a run at the weekend and as he is an outdoor bunny with hock problems ( the previous owner said he had this before) we were going to have his hutch and then a ramp onto either a patio or decking then it will lead onto grass.

Will this be o.k?
Will the patio be o.k or will decking be better?

ZakuraRabbit
03-11-2009, 10:39 PM
ok whislt i am on the subject we are going to be making him a run at the weekend and as he is an outdoor bunny with hock problems ( the previous owner said he had this before) we were going to have his hutch and then a ramp onto either a patio or decking then it will lead onto grass.

Will this be o.k?
Will the patio be o.k or will decking be better?

I wouldn't be taking him out while he's still healing.
Running on wet or dirty ground can make things even worse:/
When Sasuke had it I decided to move him indoors (a bit problematic since it was autumn so suddenly he ended up being an indoor bun that entire winter :lol: it was okay though, he switched places with Aroma who seemed to do better outside as she wasn't litter trained... Sasuke is)
I had Sasuke in an indoor hutch and gave him a pillow to sit on, he'd sit on it all day, and only moved to get food or go to the bathroom. Even after his paws healed he wouldn't run around much for a while, till I made him a run in my bedroom.

amme
04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
i wish i could i bring him into the house but i cant as we have a dog!!!!! so will leaving him the hutch be o.k until he has healed?

ZakuraRabbit
04-11-2009, 04:29 PM
i wish i could i bring him into the house but i cant as we have a dog!!!!! so will leaving him the hutch be o.k until he has healed?

As long as the hutch is kept dry and clean yeah it should be fine, just don't let him run around in the mud or wet ground.

amme
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
ahhhh the poor thing is going to be sooo bored being stuck in his hutch all day :cry: still only until the weekend

ZakuraRabbit
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
ahhhh the poor thing is going to be sooo bored being stuck in his hutch all day :cry: still only until the weekend

Well my vet suggested that if Sasuke was trying to lick his scars or something, that I'd put on him some small socks.
I never had to try this though and frankly I'm not sure if it would work but maybe you could try it to let it run? If it even WANTS run though.... Sasuke didn't. :?

Amy104
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Lots of members have found rubber matting either stable or the type you get for kids useful as a run base. They are nice and spongey so alliviate the pressure.

amme
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
thats good to know thankyou, as we are doing him a new home this weekend, are you talking about this type of thing
http://children-clothes-baby.vivastreet.co.uk/children-clothes-baby+birmingham-b31/interlocking-soft-foam-floor-mats---over-16-sq-ft/7638730/p#1
or the plastic coated ones

Bradfordian
07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
When I took in Caramel she had sore hocks, the lady who owned her said it happened on a regular basis. She was over weight and since she has lost a bit and with making sure I clean out their toilet area twice a day she seems to have not suffered for months, so fingers crossed I may be on top of it.

*Spider*
07-11-2009, 03:58 PM
How about two Polish X baby girlies to keep Louie company?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202691