• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex bunnies

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
How common is it exactly for Rexes to suffer from sore hocks?

After reading peoples experiences on here it has really put me off ever getting a Rex even though I think they are lovely.

Having an elderly person moment :roll:

Could this be moved to Health someone, please? :oops:

I wouldn't let it put you off rexes. Not all rexes have this problem. I have a dwarf lop cross who gets sore hocks occassionally I am helping him by putting fleecy blankets down. Touchwood I haven't had a problem with my rex.

In my experience ALOT has to do with breeding. Often more attention is paid to the 'cosmetic appearance' of the coat than the longterm health of the Rabbit.

I have several Rexes who have NEVER had sore hocks. But their overall coat is alot denser and probably not up to standard for showing.........

If a Rex has good fur covering on their feet at the age of 1 then so long as they are kept on a suitable substrate (soft deep hay or grass) and they are not allowed to become over-weight then they are probably not going to have a problem.

Thanks both. Would being kept as a houserabbit be suitable for their feet? I have stripped wooden floors.

Thanks both. Would being kept as a houserabbit be suitable for their feet? I have stripped wooden floors.

i was advised against that when i had my homecheck as i adored stella and flora (mini rex girls) but we have carpet so that was a nope just in case.

My Rex is 18 months old - living in a wooden floored playhouse and patio run - no sign of the problem! It's not all Rexes.

You can use sudocreme or similar if its a mild case, but if yours is as bad as the pic I'd reccommend a trip to the vets as you may need antibiotics to prevent infection.

Ideally you want to keep your bun on newspaper covered with a thick layer of soft hay throughout the whole hutch. Try to keep the enviroment as clean and dry as possible.

Hi, My mini rex suffers quite badly from sore hocks but I do think she is overweight, I think she got them while she was using the corner toilet pan because it had a metal grill on top.
I usually put sudocrem on her hocks because sometimes they look really red.
I took her to the vets once about it he wasn't worried about it at all.

thats great thankyou. we have got a tub of sudocream i will put some on him tomoro as he is tucked up nice and warm now in bed as its cold outside brrrrrr

I have 8 rex-rabbits right now and only experienced sore hooks once.

That was a time when it was raining a lot for several days, so I stupidly neglected cleaning his hutch, also he wasn't let out on the run for a few days since the grass was all soggy. (They don't mind being out when it just rains a little, but a lot...that's a different story)
So the cage was dirty, wet, and he didn't get as much exercise as he usually wood...
Needless to say after this I've never neglected cage-cleaning because of bad weather, rather I prioritize cleaning it during big downpours since wet bedding is not good for bunny-feet...

As long as the cage is kept clean and the rabbit gets enough exercise (and doesn't get overweight) hopefully it should be fine:3

I have two mini rex's. ONe was a breeders "reject" who does have slight hock problems and the other a rescue doesnt have any hock problems at all.

Another point is to make sure your buns nails are kept trim. If they are long the rabbit stands differently so more weight is applied to the hock.

amme, I really would see a vet if your bun is as bad as the pic. Sore hocks can be quite serious if they get infected.

that would explain it then as when we first had the rabbit he did have quite long nails and he was living in a damp woodland area of a garden, but his hutch was dry but it did take some cleaning/scraping out when we got it.

I will try the sudocrem and see how that goes if it dosnt work after a day or 2 i will send him to the vets thankyou.

Back