• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rspca- is this right?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I have posted before about sister in law and her rabbits, one of which I took from them and got into a rescue. Well last week she got 2 6 week old female dutches, in addtion to the 2 females and a male they already have (all unneutered).

She has a son who goes to my old comprehensive school. The school has a farm unit which has a variety if animals including rabbits. He has been given 4 of them now by the school to take home as pets, despite only being 12.

I have informed the RSPCA who tell me its not an animal welfare issue and nothing can be done!!!

I am disgusted to say the least.

Nope, probably not their remit, try the local council or education authority.

I have tried the local council who issue licenses to pet shops who tell me its nothing to do with them and to tell the County Council education department.

Rang them and they dont want to know either!

How can it be right that a school who are supposed to be settling a good example to children can sell animals to under 16's and get away with it?

Have the school actually sold them the rabbits?! :shock: I assumed taken home for the holidays or something when I read your first post but if they have sold them then that is very irresponsible, could you put in a complain at the school? I know its already done but if they get complaints they may at least rethink what they are doing

x

Have the school actually sold them the rabbits?! :shock: I assumed taken home for the holidays or something when I read your first post but if they have sold them then that is very irresponsible, could you put in a complain at the school? I know its already done but if they get complaints they may at least rethink what they are doing

x

They have sold them 4 so far. Two a few months ago and 2 six week old babies last week. They sell them to the kids at school for a few quid each.

Could you call the local paper maybe about the school?

That will be my next step. I am going to call the school tomorrow and if im not satisfied with their responce I will call them.

My Nana is a local councillor so she is going to take it up with the Heads of Enviromental health and find out exactly why they dont need a license just cos they are a school.

I think its absolutely appauling :( The school is obviously breeding the rabbits, and then selling them onto the kids :shock: Its shocking, the local paper would love the story im sure. I cant believe the rspca didnt get involved :?

Keep us updated

Looking at my Animal Welfare Act 2006 legislation notes at the moment. It's illegal to sell an animal to any person under the age of 16 (going by my lecture notes) unless I missed something.

Therefore not only is this very irresponsible but they are also breaking the law and I believe the seller can be sent to prison for 6 months and/or be fined £20,000.
It certainly sounds a good idea if your Nana can find out more about this, and good luck with phoning them tomorrow.

P.S If what I just typed is a load of rubbish sorry, just going by my lecture notes!:oops:

Looking at my Animal Welfare Act 2006 legislation notes at the moment. It's illegal to sell an animal to any person under the age of 16 (going by my lecture notes) unless I missed something.

Therefore not only is this very irresponsible but they are also breaking the law and I believe the seller can be sent to prison for 6 months and/or be fined £20,000.
It certainly sounds a good idea if your Nana can find out more about this, and good luck with phoning them tomorrow.

P.S If what I just typed is a load of rubbish sorry, just going by my lecture notes!:oops:

This is what I told the RSPCA who told me it was indeed illegal but not their area. Apparently its up to local councils to prosecute.

Id ring the school and tell them its illegal to sell to under 16s and how irresponsible as a previous one of their rabbits in now sat in a rescue..HERE!...so why are they selling them to this family?

This is what I told the RSPCA who told me it was indeed illegal but not their area. Apparently its up to local councils to prosecute.

Sorry just got carried away there that my lecture came in useful!

I see, so basically everyone is shifting the responsibility onto someone else, and noone wants to deal with it. Thats real helpful :roll:

Perhaps just mentioning it to the school may scare them into sorting it out then, fingers crossed.

I'm surprised the council pet shops department aren't interested in them selling the animals to under 16's.

Have you spoken to the school at all? I would write to the headmaster/school governors outlying the issues, the legal breach of rules and the ethical issues.

An official complaint would have to be kept on record by the school and they may take that more seriously than just a verbal complaint.

If the school don't act you could then put the issue in writing to the council animal dept, the Local education authority or your MP. Then work your way up from there until someone takes notice.

Id ring the school and tell them its illegal to sell to under 16s and how irresponsible as a previous one of their rabbits in now sat in a rescue..HERE!...so why are they selling them to this family?

I am going to ring them tomorrow and see what they say. I am so cross with the whole thing. I really wish there was something I could do but there isnt. I cant stop them getting rabbits.

They just rang to say one of the babies has fallen down the ramp and they think it has broken its back leg. I have obviously told them to get it to a vet now but they will probably wait till tomorrow. And then they probably wont have the money for the bill.

I'm surprised the council pet shops department aren't interested in them selling the animals to under 16's.

Have you spoken to the school at all? I would write to the headmaster/school governors outlying the issues, the legal breach of rules and the ethical issues.

An official complaint would have to be kept on record by the school and they may take that more seriously than just a verbal complaint.

If the school don't act you could then put the issue in writing to the council animal dept, the Local education authority or your MP. Then work your way up from there until someone takes notice.

They told me that the school doesnt need a license to sell animals as its a school. I have got my Nana to look into whether this is the case or whether they are just trying to palm the problem off onto someone else.

RSPCA - is this right

If the school has a baby bunny that they believe has a broken leg and have not taken it to the vet then they are committing an offence:evil:under the Animal Welfare Act any animal that is sick must be given vet treatment :)if they are leaving it without vet care then they are causing it to suffer:evil:

umm, you don't need a licence if you are breeding the animals you sell. If you buy animals and sell them on you need a pet shop licence. I presumed the no selling to under 16's meant anyone but perhaps it's only licensed pet shops in which case there wouldn't be anything they could do.

If one of the animals is sick and not given vet care then the RSPCA can set in with that situation as that's a welfare issue. That won't stop them selling animals though.

I think you'll need to go the the school/education side of things if they aren't breaking the law.

Okay, complaints in the education department tend to revolve around red tape..so:-

Step 1:-

Write a letter to the school outlining your concerns addressed to the headmaster.

Step 2:-

Wait for the reply. If you get fobbed off write a second letter saying that you feel this issue has not been addressed and request the name/address of the school governor. This usually shakes things up and gets things moving.

OR

Phone the local education authority, detial your complaint and demand that you want to make it official and ask them who you have to address your complaint to.

OR

Phone local paper, give them the story and see what happens. Especially if you have reported this to several people already and been ignored.

Remember that phoning is quicker but letters gives you more evidence and more clout.

Thanks. It is the family that have the bunny with the suspected broken leg not the school. I am going to phone the school after work today and write to them as well.

Back