• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run substrate - alternatives to grass

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
I'm soon to be installing an aviary for the buns. At the moment there is just soil on the ground. I was thinking of using turf as a substrate but it is VERY expensive and they will destroy it in a matter of hours so was wondering what alternatives you would recommend. I don't want to use paving of any kind because of Frankie's sore hocks. I was thinking maybe playground bark? I have no idea whether that would be suitable for them or not, hence why i am asking here. There will be a layer of wire on the floor of the aviary so they won't be able to dig out so any suggestions welcome.

I would be tempted to use paving and cover it all with soft deep hay.
Then the hay can be changed regularly and the paving slabs cleaned/disinfected.

I would not use bark as keeping the area clean would be a nightmare and I dont think it'd do Frankie's hocks any favours either.

I use bark in my aviary (actual aviary - with birds :lol:) and it's good for that but I don't think it would be any good for bunnies. They would probably make a right mess with it.

My friend uses slabs and the covers them with the rubber matting used for horses stables. The matting is nice on rexy fur (she has a rex) and easily cleaned etc.

I use a combination - with about half slabs and half turf (retained by a plank on its side).

However I am lucky enough that I live near a good cheap direct turf supply where its only £2.50 a roll - so I just renew the turf every few months. In fact to be honest I renew the whole upper lawn as well as all the grass in the bun aviaries!!! They look so smart!!!

I use deep hay in one part as well .

In my experience the buns choose to sit mostly on any bare or scraped up patch of earth they can find, next choice is nibbled turf, then hay, then their wooden platforms - with slabs being last choice.

My friend uses slabs and the covers them with the rubber matting used for horses stables. The matting is nice on rexy fur (she has a rex) and easily cleaned etc.

:wave: We're thinking about this to use on slabs for winter (we're trying to avoid turning the lawn into a mud-bath over winter) - any recommendations/suggestions of specific products?

Ta!

Back