• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of future housing

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Firstly, let me just say this is mad of me to even be thinking of this yet, as I really have to move house before I can have bunnies again! :oops::lol: But... I am thinking of future options.

I am thinking of one of those dog kennel type set ups, but obviously big enough for it to serve as both indoor quarters and enough space to run around. I would also have a separate run on grass, as I had previously. I would imagine this sort of thing costs a bomb. :oops:

Anyway, I'd be really interested to see if anyone has this sort of set up at all, or has any thoughts on it. Let's face it, I've got plenty of time to mull it over! :oops::lol:

I was looking at dog kennel/run set ups but was a bit put off by the height of most of them. A lot are only 5ft at the front, sloping down to about 4ft 6 at the back, just the right height to stoop awkwardly all the while you're inside and then you also run the risk of cracking your head on the ceiling if you stand up too fast. :shock: :lol:

I ended up with a very similar thing, but it's an aviary so is a full 6ft high at the front, sloping to about 5ft 8 (and I've still managed to bash my head on the door frame a couple of times. :oops::oops:) Mine's only 4ft wide due to lack of space near the house, but 6ft wide would be better. :)

DSCF7762700x525.jpg

Minor pitfalls that I hadn't considered before buying:
-you might need something to block the door opening, as my two tend to charge out between my feet as soon as I open the door. :roll: :lol:

- you'll probably need to put some guttering along the back, otherwise rain just tends to run off the roof, pools on the floor and goes back into the run part.

- depending on position & the direction of rain, you might still need some kind of rain protection over the mesh on the front of the run. I was hoping the roof would be enough to keep most of it out but the rain always seems to come in the front so I've got a huge clear tarpaulin.

Thanks so much. :) That's just the sort of practical information I was after. I am definitely wanting one that's pretty much human height, as that is my main problem with the hutch and run combo I have now - I've got a bad back, and scrabbling around in the run is no fun!

I hadn't thought about the door - I can just imagine the bunnies tearing out as soon as it's opened! :lol:

I hadn't thought about the door - I can just imagine the bunnies tearing out as soon as it's opened! :lol:

I hadn't thought about the door either till they both made a run for it one morning. :lol::lol:

If I think of anything else, I'll come back to this thread later. ;)

I was looking at dog kennel/run set ups but was a bit put off by the height of most of them. A lot are only 5ft at the front, sloping down to about 4ft 6 at the back, just the right height to stoop awkwardly all the while you're inside and then you also run the risk of cracking your head on the ceiling if you stand up too fast. :shock: :lol:

I ended up with a very similar thing, but it's an aviary so is a full 6ft high at the front, sloping to about 5ft 8 (and I've still managed to bash my head on the door frame a couple of times. :oops::oops:) Mine's only 4ft wide due to lack of space near the house, but 6ft wide would be better. :)

DSCF7762700x525.jpg

Minor pitfalls that I hadn't considered before buying:
-you might need something to block the door opening, as my two tend to charge out between my feet as soon as I open the door. :roll: :lol:

- you'll probably need to put some guttering along the back, otherwise rain just tends to run off the roof, pools on the floor and goes back into the run part.

- depending on position & the direction of rain, you might still need some kind of rain protection over the mesh on the front of the run. I was hoping the roof would be enough to keep most of it out but the rain always seems to come in the front so I've got a huge clear tarpaulin.

That looks fab! :D How much did it cost please, if you dont mind me asking?

Mine's slightly different; it's a shed with attatched run instead of a dog kennel type thing. The bunnies have access to it via a cat flap (which I have to peg open as only one can use it :lol:)

118.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

The first picture was taken before the cat flap was installed.

If you get the aviary style run it should be easy enough to swap the door from double 'stable' doors to stop escapes- thats what I have on my bun-aviary :)

If you get the aviary style run it should be easy enough to swap the door from double 'stable' doors to stop escapes- thats what I have on my bun-aviary :)

Any piccies at all? I always have a hard time imagining things without photos. :oops:

Back