• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what made merlin do this after all this time?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
we have had merlin since july 6th..and hes always been a bit of a mischief...but it wasnt until he was given free rnage if nikkis room we found he was a chewer..of gargantuan proportions:shock::oops:
so we had to remove his jaunts onto the landing etc until supervised..which he hates.so in process of bunny proofing that yet again:shock:

hes been jumping in an dout of nikkis bed when shes in her room or asleep or when shes donwstairs even for a few mins whilst i help her try to eat.

the other night hed chewed thru every thing he could try to reach and stuff he couldnt. then she cried..oh mum oh no......hed pooped a lot in her bed..the odd poops is the norm but this..oh my. then hed peed on her pjs and her clean dry towel and her sheet..and her duvet and cover and chewed up her battery operated halloween lights shes had for years...wrecked her toy pingus foot and stuffing....chewed yet another chili light cover to shreds.
hes a very sociable bunny but very demanding and i have had two hours solid of giving him nosey rubs each day..etc

nikkis been pretty much laid up in her room so hes had her almost to himself. he upsets zuzu nikkis cat cos he waits till shes fast asleep then climbs on top of her to go to sleep:lol:
hed not peed on zuzus blanket etc tho.

we have had very tearfully to confine him in a playpen arrangment. hes calmed down a bit now..is back to rushing up to me for attention....
i was very ill last week with severe epileptic blackouts..it was hell. i had to have my flu jab and had to take a cab the few short mins walk to the surgery..i had to produce a card explaining my predicament and how to help me.
i had had enough...the animals were all like..oh gids here she goes again..i almost landed on zuzu!

but merlin had his daily water feed tray change and nose rubs on the floor...
if it was my weird blackouts...hed have done this before hand as i suffer maybe two to fifty of them a day everyday.
We dont know what weve done....no changes...hes used to the smells of bertie and bif as they are of him.
wha happened???

i think its because no matter how much attention we give him...and the cats give him..making him fluent in cat btw.....
maybe hes uberbored and needs a wfey or is it just rebelling cos we havent let him lose upstiars everywhere as we had to modify things as he kept destroying stuff as he went.

hes a very very norty boy...i even threatened to return him to julie at rosie rabbits rescue..he just fluffed up his mane and face and put his head on one side to look extra cute and then the devilish streak shot across his eyes and he flicked his ears and went back to destroying is own stuff as well.

so the pen it is...and tomorrow i hope to supervise landing run arounds without him going too crazy!

hes loved being a house bun...i couldnt have an outdoor bunny...i coudlnt cope....indoor ones have always been easier for me. I said to nikki if he got rehomed he end up living outside as hes so destructive. then we laughed...hed eat how way out of a hutch n run....:lol::lol:

gods knows how he didnt eat thru our old thistle hall hutch julie has now:shock:

Sorry I can't help answer the question. You do have my sympathy. I love my buns but it is so frustrating when they destroy things, like telephone wires, tv aerial wire, table legs, stem of the clematis that I'd been looking forward to flowering... I do hope Merlin settles down :)

Is there anyway you could get hold of a secure outside run or play pen and give him some supervised garden time? It sounds to me like he's feeling a little bored and frustrated :? Hope things improve soon.
(I would only do 5-10 mins in the garden to start with to get him used to the grass first, plus it is getting colder, but hopefully the opportunity to really stretch his legs and get some fresh air will tire him out more :))
If garden is secure he could have some free running time perhaps every day? Mornings and evenings are best for buns x

I think if you let your bun have access to your things, then you should expect there to be some damage :) Its not that they are being naughty they don't know what they are doing is wrong

You could bunny proof the room he plays in? And make sure he has a selection of his own toys that he can chew on?

yes maybe a bit of supervised garden time or prehaps give him new toys doesnt have to be expensive, cardboaard boxes cheap tunnels, shredded newspaper, toilet roll innerds stuffed with hay a bunch of keys etc etc,

i would say he is bored and a wife may well help him settle down but then again i guess it could just mean double trouble? unless you went for a dental bun who had previoiusly had inscisors removed for health benifits maybe?

i always think a rabbit should have company of its own kind but maybe thats me other people keep single house rabbtis and say its ok,

:wave: thanks guys.
we rabbit proofed as far as we thought....but hes proved to be the most resourceful bunny ive ever seen....:lol::lol:

yep weve tried the toys..hes got shedloads of chewy stuff:shock:

i was wondering about supervised play sessions now the weathers changing....

i am going to let him have time out with me when..if..it stops raining!!:lol:

:wave: thanks guys.
we rabbit proofed as far as we thought....but hes proved to be the most resourceful bunny ive ever seen....:lol::lol:

yep weve tried the toys..hes got shedloads of chewy stuff:shock:

i was wondering about supervised play sessions now the weathers changing....

i am going to let him have time out with me when..if..it stops raining!!:lol:

It's definitely wet in 'ampshire today that's for sure!! My two are sat on the back door step looking rather unconvinced by the wet patio! :lol:

lol...... our cats are like...oh no..wet paws? no thanks!!

berties insisted on the radiator and he feels hot most of the time..shows how cold and damp it is!!:lol:

merlins having a sleepy day today;)

i think if anything we gave him too much free time..free range 24/7 isnt for him...were going to have to figure out a caged set up and free access...his wakey times about 6am to 8am......and about 9pm till 11 pm...hes a snoozy boy...almost as bad as bertie...but obviously he does venture out to destroy stuff whilst hoomins sleep or are eating..on the loo or in the shower...hes a perfect partner in crime to our norty kitty salem:lol:

do they make raincoats for bunnies backs n tummies..i think theyd all be ok then..mm maybe wellies and a rainhat too:lol::lol:

Back