• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Funny night

stephers162

Young Bun
Pi is having a bit of an odd evening. He's gone to ground under my bed and won't come out for anything. I've moved his food bowls under there and he's definately eating but he hopped up on my bed a few minutes ago and when I went to touch him he threw himself away like he was terrified of me. :(
I'm praying this doesn't mean he's in pain but we're going to the vets first thing in the morning ( I rang our vet this evening and he's out on a call at one of the farms) so we'll see what happens then but I'm really worried.
He's normally really active and he just seems terrified right now :( I'm praying I haven't done anything to scare him because he's a rescue bun and has a lot of social issues i.e. he doesn't like people much but he's come on in leaps and bounds in the past few weeks. It looks like we may now be back to square one :(

Sorry about the long post, I'm just really worried :(
x

Could he have been spooked by something, like fireworks?
I would keep a very close eye on him, as frightened behaviour sometimes preceeds a bout of stasis xx

I would keep a very close eye on him, as frightened behaviour sometimes preceeds a bout of stasis xx

or manifests DURING a bout of stasis. My nervous Poppy rabbit always becomes more withdrawn and nervous when she gets stasis and also hides away under the bed in the spare room. If he's not eating or pooping I would suggest he does need to see the vet tonight for pain relief and fluids and an examination. Hope he feels better soon. :)

Thanks for replying! There's been nothing here at all, no fireworks or loud noises, so I don't know what has stressed him out so much. It just really confused me that he's eating and moving about fine but just doesn't want to be near me. I have been around dogs today, could the smell on my clothes be freaking him out? I don't know what experience he's had of dogs in the past...
x

Thanks for replying! There's been nothing here at all, no fireworks or loud noises, so I don't know what has stressed him out so much. It just really confused me that he's eating and moving about fine but just doesn't want to be near me. I have been around dogs today, could the smell on my clothes be freaking him out? I don't know what experience he's had of dogs in the past...
x

Oh he's eating?! Sorry :oops:

I expect it is likely to be the smell of dogs in that case. Have a bath and change your clothes and then see what happens. :)

Buns have very sensitive noses....i'd have a bath too! :lol::D

ETA i'm not suggesting you smell! :oops: Someone I know who volunteers at a rescue has to shower and change every time she has been handling other rabbits otherwise her buns refuse to talk to her or come near her. :)

Lol now worries, I don't take offence to the suggestion I smell, I have been stabling my friends horse today so I probably am a bit whiffy :D
I've just had a quick shower and changed clothes into my jammies which he walks on all the time and he just let me give him a quick nosey rub before hopping away so hopefully that's a bit of progress!
Thank you soooo much guys, you've put my mind at rest a bit :D x

Buns have very sensitive noses....i'd have a bath too! :lol::D

ETA i'm not suggesting you smell! :oops: Someone I know who volunteers at a rescue has to shower and change every time she has been handling other rabbits otherwise her buns refuse to talk to her or come near her. :)

I'll say it then: you smell like an old dog :lol::lol:
Eta: sorry, i just couldn't resist :oops:

Back