• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheyletiella ( walking dandruff?)

dayle_x

Mama Doe
How would you manage this and is there anything you can do to make it less likely for your bun to get it?
College assignment again...

There are a variety of treatments for the rabbit available, and you would also need to treat the environment.

Most rabbits carry a small amount of mites that their immune system keeps at bay, and so a good way to try and keep the mites away is to ensure your rabbit has the best immune system possible (good diet, lack of stress, space to run, etc).

Rabbits can contract it other ways, such as from outside sources (hay, in the environment, via another carrier-another rabbit, or animal or person), in which case then you need to treat them.

Buns also control mite popluations (which are thought to exist on most buns at normal levels most of the time) by grooming! So a sick bun grooms less as well as gets under the weather immune wise....hence why mite infestations often occur or flare up during ill health of another sort. :wave:

Ivermectin is usually given over 6 weeks at 2 week intervals to break the lifecycle. It can be given in drop form, injection or spray on. Most people go for spot-on or injection, less chance of bun ingesting it then.

I personally feel that as buns probably carry these mites anyway, it is impossible to rid the environment of them completely, instead you just need to reduce the 'load' in the environment in order to give bunny a chance to fight them off, I would just do a thorough disinfecting and quarantine toys etc for a few weeks so that any mites hiding in any nooks or crannies die off, and change/wash all bedding :) There's not much more you can do. I expect helping a sick bun to groom might give a little control.

Buns also control mite popluations (which are thought to exist on most buns at normal levels most of the time) by grooming! So a sick bun grooms less as well as gets under the weather immune wise....hence why mite infestations often occur or flare up during ill health of another sort. :wave:

Ivermectin is usually given over 6 weeks at 2 week intervals to break the lifecycle. It can be given in drop form, injection or spray on. Most people go for spot-on or injection, less chance of bun ingesting it then.

I personally feel that as buns probably carry these mites anyway, it is impossible to rid the environment of them completely, instead you just need to reduce the 'load' in the environment in order to give bunny a chance to fight them off, I would just do a thorough disinfecting and quarantine toys etc for a few weeks so that any mites hiding in any nooks or crannies die off, and change/wash all bedding :) There's not much more you can do. I expect helping a sick bun to groom might give a little control.

pretty much what tehy said! x

Back