• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stomach rumbles

Septanest

Young Bun
Hi
my giant rabbit, jack didn't eat his breakfast this morning which is most unlike him. He hasn't been to the toilet today as far as I can see. He doesn't appear to be miserable......maybe a little bit quite but is hopping around. He has eaten the green tops off 3 or 4 carrots & a small amount of hay. His tummy is grumbling a lot. Does anyone have any idea as to how I can make him more comfortable or any other advice please? I have phoned the emergency vet who suggested that I encourage eating and take him in tomorrow if no better. I am very anxious. Jack is not normally ill at all.

Hi
my giant rabbit, jack didn't eat his breakfast this morning which is most unlike him. He hasn't been to the toilet today as far as I can see. He doesn't appear to be miserable......maybe a little bit quite but is hopping around. He has eaten the green tops off 3 or 4 carrots & a small amount of hay. His tummy is grumbling a lot. Does anyone have any idea as to how I can make him more comfortable or any other advice please? I have phoned the emergency vet who suggested that I encourage eating and take him in tomorrow if no better. I am very anxious. Jack is not normally ill at all.

Hi, if no better late tonight he will need to see the emergency vet tonight, not tomorrow. But as long as you can keep him eating he may be able to keep going overnight, if he refuses food this evening then vet tonight i'm afraid for immediate pain relief and fluids as well would be a good idea.

In the meantime, tummy rubs, getting him to hop around, keeping him eating and offering freshly washed and still wet greens such as more carrot tops is ideal - whatever he will eat. Some paediatric infacol or gripe water can be given at 1ml-2ml for the rumbly tummy every couple of hours. Seriously though, he may need some pain relief. Good luck, keep us updated.
p.s. a heat pad or hot water bottle if he feels a bit chilly should help as well.

Hi pretty lupin

thank you for your advice. Jack seems to have perked up quite a bit. He has been eating (although selectively) and drinking water. He has had a dose of metacam. He has been for a wee & a poo. His tummy still gurgles......but not as much as before. I think he must have had tummy ache. I have spoken to the emergency vet twice & would most certainly take him to see her if he appeared to be getting worse or no better. Thank you for replying to me earlier. I felt quite desperate! Best wishes. Jill

Hi pretty lupin

thank you for your advice. Jack seems to have perked up quite a bit. He has been eating (although selectively) and drinking water. He has had a dose of metacam. He has been for a wee & a poo. His tummy still gurgles......but not as much as before. I think he must have had tummy ache. I have spoken to the emergency vet twice & would most certainly take him to see her if he appeared to be getting worse or no better. Thank you for replying to me earlier. I felt quite desperate! Best wishes. Jill

That's good to hear he has improved, is eating something and has passed some droppings - very important! I would suggest some tummy rubs definitely to help shift the gas along, I find this really helps. Start up just under his ribs and move downwards in circles towards his bottom. Use the flat of your hand but be firm but gentle. Infant gripe water/infacol is also very useful.
I expect the pain relief helped a lot too - very important for bloating and gas.
Hope he feels better in the morning....please let us know :wave:

ETA if you can keep him eating it will really help, even if it means setting your alarm and getting up a few times in the night just to wave some food under his nose! :) I find strongly scented fresh herbs work very well to stimulate the appetite. If you are worried about fluids, syringing some cooled herbal tea is very effective - my bun even drinks it fresh out of the mug once cooled enough to offer when he is poorly. Fennel and Nettle is the favourite here, but also peppermint and camomile.

Last edited:
Hello again

I am waiting to see the vet. Jack is brighter than yesterday but is not himself. Tummy still grumbling & not eating as normal. I feel terrible......I am so anxious. This is the horrible part of being a pet owner. Will let you know what happens.

Try not to worry, am sure he'll be ok. I expect he just needs a good strong dose of pain relief and some sub-cut fluids to rehydrate him. Please make sure the vet checks his teeth as well as examines his abdomen. Lots of vibes for your boy x

ETA some gut motility drugs and some fibreplex might also be very helpful. Hope you have a stress free vet trip. If it's any consolation I feel physically sick whenever any of my buns get like this. :(

Poor jack has been admitted to the vets. He is being kept in for the night. I have got to phone tomorrow for a progress report. I am sure my work colleagues think I am bonkers as I am clearly so concerned about him. The vet has confirmed that his teeth are ok. He has been syringe fed today but still has a grumbling tummy. He will be sedated tomorrow & x-rayed if there is no improvement. I am lucky to be registered with a very rabbit friendly practice - harcourt brown......but still can't help worrying about my beautiful boy. Sending vibes for my boy jack and all the other poorly bunnies out there. :(

Back