• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with houserabbits who...

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
...also spend some time outdoors, at what point in the year do you decide that the temperature difference between the hosue and outdoors has become too great, and that they can't go out again till next spring?

Mine have some time in the garden each week. But it's starting to get colder now and I'm wondering when is the right time to stop it.

I will still let Strawberry out if he chooses to go over winter. Our house is always cold as we work full time so dont have the heating on in the day anyways.

I dont let Snowdrop out as she is much more delicate than Strawbs.

Lola has always gone out all year round. Except instead of many hours in the summer she goes out until i notice she is not hopping around anymore and may get cold (normally 10 mins - 1 hour).

I will do this with Desmond this year too.

I end up having the back door open so Louie can come and go as he pleases, flipping cold draft though at this time of year :roll:

they come and go as they please, when I am around, through a catflap (one that needs a microchip to work it).

they usually go out every day by choice - even when it snows

Mine goes out all the year by choice. He won't go out in rain or wind (thank goodness, cos I either watch near the open door or go out with him.) He quite enjoys the snow unless it's deep. My house is quite cool.
I must post a photo of when he asked me to put on the fire INDOORS last winter! :shock:

I didn't use to let mine out, until the vet told me off. (I was told that Mr Bunny was fat. :oops:)
I asked my vet the exact same question recently and she said that I should continue to let them out during winter.

I am just putting the healthier ones out between 11 and 4 pm if it is fairly sunny, and am keeping the bunny room window slightly open during the day to prevent extreme temperature change.

The elderly and disabled have stayed inside for several weeks now. Except for Timmy obviously as he has his coats, but I think I will need to design a range of bobble hats for him soon :roll::lol:

Interesting replies everyone, thanks :)

I was just asking as I have always been told to avoid sudden temperature changes eg going from a warm house to the cold outdoors, as it's very stressful to them.

Liz - I can't wait to see Timmy's winter range ;)

I think that what is meant by the sudden change in Temp. is leaving them in that environment for several hours without the facility to get warmth/ choice to come in.

Yep mine go out all year... important exercise, fresh air, stimulation and Vit D! :D

In summer they could be out all day, by Autumn just a few hours, and during winter just an hour at most. When they come in we leave the back door open for a bit to cool the bunny room down and then it gradually warms back up an hour or so later. Rather like when we come in from a cold walk or something...to start off with the house feels boiling, then as you sit and adjust you can tolerate it warmer again.

I would not put them out for an entire day into a cold garden though and then bring them back into a warm house - would be far too much of a sudden change. But they can cope with a quick hop around and even an hour or two on a sunny winter day. Just imagine you are outside in a t-shirt or thin layer only (equivalent of a thin fur coat of houserabbit) and go by how long til you feel cold. :wave:

Back