• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awful week.

RubyGordy

Alpha Buck
Booked the guineas in for check ups and nail cuts on Tues with the buns due the following day for the same plus booster jabs.

One of the guineas was a bit quiet and I mentioned to the vet when I took them and he gave me some protein powder for all three and some drops for the water.

The next day, Weds, just before the rabbits appt due, the dog, Fresca, split her toe badly on a walk. Rang the vet to see if I could swap the buns appt for her. No problem. In we went, she was put on sedation immediately and treated. £200 eeeek!

Fresca was due back on Saturday morning and the guinea was going downhill so asked if I could take her with Fresca. Vet gave her some antibiotics but said it didn't look good. No indication of what made her stop eating and look so lathargic.

Went home and out to feed the buns. Normally they both charge out of the hutch or from under it to the mesh to greet me. No sign of Wesley. Found him sitting in the hutch looking still, eyes staring, non responsive. Couldn't believe it!

Rang the vets to see if I could go back and then burst into tears. To potentially lose a guinea was one thing but not my Wesley! Anyway, got him in - vet gave him jabs and I kept him inside where he gradually perked up and made a good recovery till he was eating, weeing and pooping for England on the sofa. I kept all the animals inside last night but the guinea died. Wesley was fine, eating etc but a bit spooked at going back in the hutch.

He's OK now but I can't understand what happened to both bun and guinea. The vets ruled out anything wrong with their food and it hasn't been super cold. I'm now wondering if they got shocked by fireworks? They've been going off recently and last night because of the Hindu festival.

I was planning to keep the guineas outside as they have an insulated, log lap playhouse but now I don't know. They're in at the moment but I don't really have the space.

Feel so stressed at the moment. And guilty because the guinea who died was one of two I rehomed from someone I know. I'd only had them a few months.

:(

Aww sorry to hear about your wee piggy :(.

What an awful week you have had. Sometimes (most of the time unfortuantly :roll:) if one thing is going to go wrong, it has a domino effect and everything goes wrong at once.

Im glad Fresca and Wesley are both doing ok, i hope this week is better for you.

Hi :wave:

Wesley was grooming Ruby in the run this morning so he's looking OK. I was devastated at the thought of losing him yesterday. I rehomed him from Kris at Starlight this summer.

Aww its great Wesley is feeling better now, hopefully he will continue to go from strength to strength :D.

The thought of losing our precious bunnies does not bear thinking about, i fully understand how you must have been feeling yesterday.

They know how to stress us out don't they! Hopefully you've had your bad luck quota for now and things wll go smoothly for a bit.

Back