• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis in VACCINATED Rabbits

How long after their last vaccination did your Rabbit(s) develope Myxomatosis

• A few days

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Less than 1 months

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Less than 2 months

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Less than 3 months

• Less than 4 months

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Less than 5 months

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • More than 6 months (for those vaccinated once a year)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Do you have a Rabbit/Rabbits who have developed Myxomatosis despite vaccination ?
If so, how long after their last vaccination did they become ill

Please take part in the Poll

Thank You

Autumn was vaccinated June- Developed Mxyi start of October Put less than 5 months, as it was just over 4 months from the vacc.

Crikey mine vary....will go and investigate then post again!...won't be able to put it on the poll though I doubt.

Ok Perry vaccinated 7/5 showed syptoms 4/10 so 5 months after jab.

Doris vaccinated 24/6 showed symptoms 29/9 so 3 months after jab

Diesel vaccinated 17/6 showed symptoms 17/9 so also 3 months after jab

Angel also contracted myxi just 2 days after her jab.

Last edited:
Not our rabbits - but our Vet said on Thursday she had treated a pair who had been vaccinated 3 months previously, both developed Myxi. Unfortunately the elder one of the two didn't make it :(

Might be useful if we could somehow add to the poll whether they had severe symptoms or not.

It does seem that some have much much less severe symptoms than others.

yes less than 6 months, chelsea had aroudn 50 nodules some in her eye to obut no chesty symptoms she couldnt walk easily due to those on her paws which kept getting knocked and her nose was inflamed and breathing heavier but not to the extent that some are, she still has a weepy eye due to nodular scars left in her tear duct causing a blockage permenantly, she also has a sore paw stil lfrom where one of the nodules was, this was now i believe arounda year ago,. she was 10 when she got myxi and her journey was on ru, she survived adn still going strong do you want to know meds she was on? baytril, fucilthalmic(later switched to tiacil) steam baths, metacam. hope that helps x

Went to vets with my three for 6 month myxi vac on Wednesday and vet said he had seen three in the last two days who had myxi and were all vac,d in the last three months.

Went to vets with my three for 6 month myxi vac on Wednesday and vet said he had seen three in the last two days who had myxi and were all vac,d in the last three months.

There is definitely something odd going on with either the myxi virus or the vac. this year . . . . .

I wonder if the people who make the vac are aware of all this????

Theoretically each case in a vaccinated bun should be reported to the makers of the vaccine as a 'breakdown' or 'failure' - but i suspect that few vets have the time and energy - too busy trying to deal with the poor buns.

Jacks Jane - do you know via Christobel if the makers of the vaccine are putting out any press release or anything?

The numbers involved this year are just ridiculous. and the numbers and deaths from unvaccinated buns seem huge as well - from word of mouth - I personally have been told of 5 - and thats not from a vet! ( and please don't ask why I didn't tell them to vaccinate their pets . . . they are not people directly known to me).

There is definitely something odd going on with either the myxi virus or the vac. this year . . . . .

I wonder if the people who make the vac are aware of all this????

Theoretically each case in a vaccinated bun should be reported to the makers of the vaccine as a 'breakdown' or 'failure' - but i suspect that few vets have the time and energy - too busy trying to deal with the poor buns.

Jacks Jane - do you know via Christobel if the makers of the vaccine are putting out any press release or anything?

The numbers involved this year are just ridiculous. and the numbers and deaths from unvaccinated buns seem huge as well - from word of mouth - I personally have been told of 5 - and thats not from a vet! ( and please don't ask why I didn't tell them to vaccinate their pets . . . they are not people directly known to me).

Apparently the Rep told them that the vaccine gives 'good immunity for EIGHT MONTHS'.............:shock:

To me it looks as though it gives SOME immunity for 4-5 months :?

TBH I dont think asking the manufacturer anything about the vaccine will illicit a reliable source of info.............

I do think that something has to be done to find a more effective way of protecting our Rabbits. At the moment Intervet / Schering-Plough Animal Health have no competetion, they are the only licence holders for the Myxo vac. So they have market monopoly and no incentive for further research.

Is it possible that Myxomatosis can mutate, even slightly, so making the vaccine less or even none effective?

Alternatively, could the rabbits that still caught the disease have had underlying immunity problems thus making the vaccine none effective?

Is it possible that Myxomatosis can mutate, even slightly, so making the vaccine less or even none effective?

Alternatively, could the rabbits that still caught the disease have had underlying immunity problems thus making the vaccine none effective?

Yes to both :)

Vaccs Last week April, then one died 2nd week June, & 2 more had myxi 18th Sept - on died, the other is still plodding along.

After June death all ones in her room were revaccs, on 19th Sept all the ones in THAT room were revaccs. All revacs were done by a different vet from the original April ones.

ETA - Alistair went downhill very fast with myxi - it was straight onto his lungs - he was a very large NZ white, aged 5-6 years old. Suki's illness has been completely different. She has the swellings, but is pretty much behaving as normal with no breathing difficulties.

Last edited:
Back