• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What kind of rabbit is this?

louise.storrar

Warren Scout
This is a photo of my bonded pair James and Cally. I know Cally's a lop...I was told she was a dwarf lop when I got her as a baby. However at 2 and a half...she's 3.8kg and double the size of James my Dutch.(not much of a dwarf:lol:) Any ideas what kind of lop she is?

Buns.jpg

It's hard to tell really off the photo...peole can often be mis-led with the term 'dwarf'...when in fact they can be exactly the opposite...she could be a dwarf lop..I have a dwarf lop and she's not small as in 'dwarf'...she's 8mth old and a good size not massive but not dwarf...sorry not much help :roll:

I have a mini too..I agree I do think she's a dwarf lop and not a mini... :roll:sorry I thought u meant the lop larger breeds as in french lop etc

Lops are huuuge. Dwarf lops are small... in comparison. That's how I ended up with my bun. Some stupid woman who he grew too big for. :censored:

Dwarf lop is a confusing name, because it means that they're small compared to the mahoosive lops - frenchies etc. So, yes, she's probably a dwarf lop. :) And very pretty too. :love::love:

Mini lops are the tiny ones - Alfie and Bubbles are around 1.5kg. ;)

I hardly see any pure-bred rabbits these days, your buns probably just a cross x

Mini lops are the smallest and have the dwarf gene. Dwarf lops don't actually have the dwarf gene, so they're a bit bigger. Then it's the German lops, English lops and French lops.

I was told dwarf related to the ear size - normal lops ears are very long, dwarf are smaller. No idea if mini ears are even smaller though!

I was told dwarf related to the ear size - normal lops ears are very long, dwarf are smaller. No idea if mini ears are even smaller though!

The ears of the dwarf lop tend to be a bit longer than their faces. Mini lops ears are even smaller.

Proportionately, dwarf and mini ears are probably the same size - just the mini has a smaller body to go with the smaller ears iyswim. :lol:

It's not just the ear size that's smaller in a dwarf than a french lop though - it's the whole body too. ;) They crossed french lops with dwarf rabbit to create a smaller version of the french lop.

Back