• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

about to get my bunnie....

Gillian.H

New Kit
Hi every1, im gillian, i have 2 daughters, Morgan ,6 & Kimberley ,4, I am gettin my girls their first pet soon, we are awaitin a wee grey bunnie that was just born last week, so we have to wait til december to bring it home.... we dont know if its a boy or girl yet, so gettin excited about choosin a name, we are new to this and any advice would be helpful...... such as.... what size cage to buy, food, hay, etc..... i have researched a lot and my best friend has bunnies, but any advice is helpful, thanks... hope to meet some new friends on here..... x

Welcome to the forum. :wave: The cage that you will need has to be at least 6ftX2ftX2ft with an attached run. It will be a shame to have only one bunny, as bunnies love company. So, as soon as the bunny is neutered (at about 4 months old) it will be best to get him/her a neutered boyfriend/girlfriend from a rescue. As far as feeding is concerned, 90% of the bunny's diet should be hay. You can also feed small quantities of pellets, such as Science Selective or Excel and vegetables (which should be introduced gradually). Any change in the rabbit's diet should be done gradually, so it will be best if you find out what the current owner is feeding his rabbits at the moment. The bunny will have to be vaccinated against myxomatosis (twice a year) and VHD (annually). For more information, there are some very informative leaflets regarding rabbit care, feeding and health on the RWAF website: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

hi there antigone, thanks for t info, nice of you to reply, im not sure about 2 bunnies at the moment, dont want to throw myself in at the deep end, but mabye later on.... we are going to keep bunnie inside , so does t cage have to be that big.....?

Hi Gillian,

I have an indoor set-up, which is the largest dog-crate you can get (4ft x 3ft; I've put a second level in the crate too but as yet it hasn't been used :roll: ) attached to a puppy-pen which I've set up to be a 5ft x 3ft rectangle with some plastic mesh over the top. The crate & pen are connected so it's a 9ft x 3ft space for running about in while confined. If it gets to the point where free-range access of the living room permanently is an option then we'll take the pen away, but we're not at that stage yet.

Both crate and pen were from pet shops that sell on ebay with buy-it-nows (about £40 each, so considerably cheaper than buying in a pet shop where the crate would've been £85). I've just ordered more pens which we're going to use to fence off electricals in the living room to make bunny proofing easier.

Hope this helps :)

hi there antigone, thanks for t info, nice of you to reply, im not sure about 2 bunnies at the moment, dont want to throw myself in at the deep end, but mabye later on.... we are going to keep bunnie inside , so does t cage have to be that big.....?

I'm glad you will be keeping him/her indoors, so he/she will not be on his/her own. Take a look at this thread, that includes pictures of indoor set ups: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=176120&highlight=indoor
I keep my bunnies indoors in their own room. By the way, don't forget to bunny proof: remove any wires away from the bunny's reach (or cover them with cable-tidy). Also, bear in mind that rabbits chew wooden furniture, wall paper, wires (as I already mentioned), books etc.

:wave: Hello!

I have an indoor bunny too. You must all be very excited and I'm sure he/she will be a very happy bunny.

One other thing just to mention (am sure you know already) is that very few buns like to be picked up and carried anywhere. They will do everything they can to get free which can involve some nasty scratches - and a lot of stress for your Rabbit. As you have children, it's good to encourage them to get on the floor, down at the bun's level, and love him/her from there.

Bob (my bun) absolutely loves kisses and cuddles but really doesn't like to be picked up so it has to be on his terms!

Good luck with the new arrival! December will be here in no time. :)

Back