• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with rabbits over firework period?

scarlettfox

New Kit
What should I do with my buns now it's coming up to the firework season? I say season because it rarely happens on Nov 5th alone!

They are outside buns, they have a hutch with run attached underneath but at bed times they are shut into the hutch part only to keep them safe and warm.

Should I be moving them indoors due to the noise?

I will be keeping them outside in winter with a snugglesafe pad at night and a hutch cover for extra insulation.

Thanks!

If you do it will need to be an unheated room to avoid shock of sudden temperature changes. I'd definitely cover them up outside if fireworks going off nearby so they don't see the flashes, and maybe if particularly bad then yes bring them in, or go and sit with them until it is over? We used to do this in our garage. My buns permanent house buns now, even then they get a bit freaked out. :(

I bring mine in if fireworks nearby and very loud. I have a dog crate for them, and put them in spare room with heating off, and window open until fireworks start. I don't actually know if they are scared of fireworks or not, as I have never let them be out when they are going off!

Mine arn't bothered by fireworks but i sit outside with them just in case my mum will be sitting up stairs as harry is still a baby and not heard then before so she's going to make sure he's ok :D

i will be bringing mine in at night i think. I don't sleep til about midnight so will probably pop them back out before i go to bed.

I am actualyl more worried about one of my cats (the wuss puss) she will probably have a heart attack with all of that banging. I think i will have to keep her company that night, the only problem is i am out seeing a band play until about 11pm! maybe i can talk someone into cat sitting?

Muppet hasnt been bothered by the noise the two years I've had him - he's an indoor rabbit but is quite happy having some garden time as usual whilst the world explodes around him! He doesnt even flinch or look up :lol:

(To be fair, the fireworks are usually a street or two away, it's not like they're right next door.)

when mine lived outdoors i put lots of straw in their cages, i also used to use an old thick quilt to cover over the hutch to help with noise

We were invited to a massive fireworks party the first year we got (indoor bun) Bob.

We were too worried about him being scared so we didn't go.

Pointless. I swear he didn't even blink.
Maybe being lop-eared he has extra decibel protection. ;)

Back