• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long does your dustfreehay last?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i was reading some other posts and people who buy dustfreehay seem to make it last forever!

i buy the ten bale, 5 soft and 5 stalky for 2 rabbits and 2 piggies and it lasts me about 4 weeks!

the buns eat the stalky hay, they have it in their litter trays and the pigs have the stalky in their two hayracks and have a 1/4 of their cage full of soft hay to sleep and burrow in.

how long does everyone elses last???

I buy 10 stalky and it lasts about 10 weeks for 4 buns - we generally use one small bale per week. But it depends how much is in each bale - some are stuffed so tight it's a struggle to get any out and others are quite loose and so there's probably less in there and it doesn't last the week. But mine only have it for eating - we use cheap stuff to line litter trays. They also have Burns Green Oat Hay and Readigrass to munch so they're not eating the dust free stuff exclusively.

is it really really good hay as it seems really expensive???
i want to just get some hay as a treat (endless supply of hay available to my rabbit which is from a farm and really cheap) but want to buy some special hay just for treat time. any ideas? i am too over whelmed by the range on hay experts!!

It is good hay but to be honest, if mine would munch baled farm hay as much as they munch dustfree stuff, they'd get the farm stuff!! It's just that they're so fussy and I obviously want them to eat as much hay as possible that I buy the expensive stuff. If I was on a budget, they'd get what they were given!

If yours is eating baled hay, stick with it - there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

For a treat, you could try Burns Green Oat Hay - that seems to go down very well with a lot of peoples buns. Mine get a sprinkle of it every day in amongst their dustfree hay.

The big stalky bale lasts 6 - 8 weeks with changing 2 litter trays twice a day for 2 bunnies. I have put local farm stuff in with it but they chuck this out of the tray in favour of the dust free stuff, although them were eating farm hay in their foster home - I think I may be spoiling them!

They also love the burns oak hay and some of the exel dandelion hay to give them a bit of variety and something to forage through.

i buy the 10 bales when I do and each bag lasts my 4 about 5 days. I do supplement it with other hays lining the litter tray though.

Back