• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there enough space for 3 rabbits?pics added post 7

lunar6769

Alpha Buck
We have a hutch (2 storey 6x3 footprint) and run (3.5x3.8ft) fixed together (see links) and they are in an enclosure that is 11x11 feet.
They don't free range in the enclosure because of foxes but they have a lot of time in there out of the run/hutch with me or the children.
They climb on the roof and run around like mad things round the enclosure.

My question (at last, I hear you sigh :lol: ) is - is there enough room for 3 rabbits? We have 2 smallish ones at the moment.

Thank you.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/bilder/natura/outdoor/pen/1/400/33061_natura_freigehege_1.jpg

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/bilder/rab...e/pen/1/300/45184_trixie_kleintierstall_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think they could use a little more permanent run space to be honest. Could you attach another 4x4 run aswell?

Do you mean that the closed in hutch/run bit is not big enough now for our 2 or it would need extending for the 3?
Thank you.

Peter and Posy have that exact run and hutch but they also have an additional zooplus run which is 7ft long.

July2009009.jpg

July2009011.jpg

These pics were taken on a wet day which is why its all covered up.

To be honest, I really dont like it. The inside space is so small. Peter and Posy are going to be bonded with my other 2 buns next week and will be living in a playhouse instead. If this hadnt been happening I was planning to block in all the downstairs part of the hutch to make it more weather proof.

I'm sorry but I do not think its big enough for 3.

Do you mean that the closed in hutch/run bit is not big enough now for our 2 or it would need extending for the 3?
Thank you.

It's hard to tell what it's going to be like, but if the hutch and run combo bit is enclosed to provide shelter then that would certainly be big enough for 3. I do think 4x4 is a bit small for a run though, they can't really have a proper energetic run around in it. If you added some more permanent run space I think it would be big enough for three.

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

This is the set up but the hutch is now the other way round back to the window. They run about in this enclosure for about 3-4 hours a day but only supervised because of the foxes. But I take your point about more permanant fixed covered run space.

The extention to the cage has a cover on like yours now.
:)

It's a shame you can't add a permanent roof to the larger enclosure - then you could do away with the extra run inside and let them have free run of the whole thing all the time. It'd be plenty big enough for 3 that way.

That would have been the ideal but because of the windows it isn't possible. We are still thinking of solutions though - maybe a much bigger added run at the side now it is all turned 90 degrees.
I'll have to get the carpenter back who did the fence - my attempt fell down the first day :lol:

If you are looking at getting another bun from a rescue I would discuss the rehoming requirements of a the rescue you are using.

Personally I think that the hutch that you have has insufficient sheltered accomodation for a pair of buns, however this can be addressed by covering up some of the sides of the run below the small upstairs area. Then you can add a much larger run which is 2 foot high to the side of it.

Many rescues will rehome to a minimum of 36 square feet of space that a rabbit has access to for a pair of rabbits and larger for a trio.

Thank you for your info - is the 36' square to be full-time access per rabbit or for the pair?
Thank you.

36 square foot would be the size most rescues would look at for a pair. This is the same size as a happy hutch 6 x 2 x2 hutch which is over a 6 x 4 run. O a 6 x 4 shed with an attatched 6 x 2 run or 3 x 4 run. The run would be one which they have access to 24 hours a day.

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

This is the set up but the hutch is now the other way round back to the window. They run about in this enclosure for about 3-4 hours a day but only supervised because of the foxes. But I take your point about more permanant fixed covered run space.

The extention to the cage has a cover on like yours now.

Could another height of fence be added to this one, so that it is higher than your windows by about 2 foot, then put the currugated palstic on an angle, so the rain water runs onto your roof/into the guttering, that way you don't have to look at it out of your window, it would only take away a little of the light as it is often clear/see through, and best of all the buns can have safe free range :)

Thank you for that suggestion - I never thought to put a roof on to drain into the existing guttering - inspired :)
I couldn't see how to do it without blocking the windows, but as you say that would raise it over the eye-line of the windows.

I shall speak to the carpenter and see what he can do.

Thank you for your help.

You might have to enclose the sides too, I would suggest welded mesh, that way they get a bit more air in, as they are already protected on three sides, it might need that extra bit of ventilation.

Glad I could help, see dyslexia works sometimes.!!

Hi :wave:

I think that your setup is great, especially if you can make the whole area safe for free range bunnies, but I do think that (especially with the good old British weather) you could do with more sheltered and snuggly places.

We have a similar "chicken house" style hutch which we added a back, side and floor to:

tn_sooty1jpg.jpg

tn_sooty2jpg.jpg

We have now had a waterproof thermal cover made for the "hutch" and my husband has made a big covered run which attaches to the front for 24 / 7 access.

I know that bunnies often choose to sit out in the cold :roll: but at least I know that they have a choice!

Jo, how does you bun get to the top level of the hutch? I personally don't like they types of set ups, as they don't really give bun much space. Yours certainly doesn't look like it provides the recommended 36sqft, although photos can be decieving. Does it have a permenantly attached run?

Jo, how does you bun get to the top level of the hutch? I personally don't like they types of set ups, as they don't really give bun much space. Yours certainly doesn't look like it provides the recommended 36sqft, although photos can be decieving. Does it have a permenantly attached run?

That is an old photo with a temporary run attached to the front, as I said in my previous post it now has a permanently attached run, which is 5 foot by 4 foot. The "hutch" gives approx 18 square feet so the accommodation is 38 square feet in total, with lots of dry, warm space.

It did come with a ramp to get to the top but Sooty (in the picture) much preferred to jump up to the top bit than use the ramp!

I have to say that I am not a big fan of these types of accommodation as they come either hence all of the modifications!

Last edited:
I am going to get some wood across the back and sides of our hutch and put a more cosy set up in the bottom of it. The run bit is too small but with plans afoot to sort the enclosure out they should be free ranging in 11x11 feet soon!

Netutopia :wave: - where did you get the smaller inner hutch from with the little ramp?

Gosh, it is all a big learning experience keeping rabbits!

I am going to get some wood across the back and sides of our hutch and put a more cosy set up in the bottom of it. The run bit is too small but with plans afoot to sort the enclosure out they should be free ranging in 11x11 feet soon!

Lucky bunnies! :D

Netutopia :wave: - where did you get the smaller inner hutch from with the little ramp?

:wave: I think that I bought it from Wilsons Pet shop (now called Just for Pets) but I know that you can buy them cheaper online, they are available at zooplus. To be honest they are quite expensive for what they are and none of my bunnies really go in them very much - they mostly sit on them :roll: They all prefer a big litter tray filled with hay that they can eat or a cardboard box that they can destroy - much cheaper too!

Gosh, it is all a big learning experience keeping rabbits!

Tell me about it! :lol:

Here are some updated pictures of our setup, the run also has an onduline cover to keep it dry when it rains, however at the weekend the buns are moving into a 5 x 7 shed with that run attached and the "hutch" is being attached to a new Ryedale 5 x 3 double hutch for a single bunny, so that he can be next to my other single bunny!

tn_hutch1.jpg

tn_hutch2.jpg

tn_hutch3.jpg

tn_hutch4.jpg

tn_hutch5.jpg

tn_hutch6.jpg

tn_hutch7.jpg

tn_hutch8.jpg

Back