• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adoption Centre PAHome - Do I Risk It?

heffalump13a

Young Bun
Have lost four french lops to Myxi (two sets of sisters) since beginning of September (unrelated cases - both sets vaccinated). I am thinking that I may have one more go but have indoor bunnies instead. Popped into my local PAH branch where I saw a beautiful dwarf lop buck that has been returned to the store. He is about 14 months old, returned as family had lost interest, un-neutured, no vaccinations (despite living outdoors). I am tempted to get him but these are my questions: a) have only ever bought bonded pairs before so is it cruel to get one on his own; b) if I get him, as he has not been vaccinated, could he be incubating virus that will rear it's head when I get him vaccinated; c) am I impulse buying again? :D Advice, thoughts welcomed.

Perhaps getting a bun from an adopting centre would be better, they are usually neutered and vacc'd so it would save you a lot of stress. Unless you have the time to do a bonding, it probably is best to get a pair, buns dont like to be alone, even house buns. Its nice for them to have someone to play with and talk to when we arent there if you know what I mean. House bunnies are great though. My Rimmi is a house bun and getting his wife soon, I am so nervous about the bonding.

Plus, in some adopting centres, you can get bunnies that are already house buns, which would save you the trouble of litter training etc!!

It would seem like there is active myxi in your area, a vaccination takes 14 days or so to give immunity. The logical thing would be to not bring another rabbit home unless they have been vaccinated for at least three weeks and less than 5 months.

When risk possibly dead rabbit I would say no, don't do it :)

The vet said that would be better to wait until the winter sets in to get new rabbits - what are the views on that? I really miss them all - the first set we had for only 2 and half months but my daughter had really bonded with them. The new pair only lasted with us for 2 weeks (signs of virus showed 1 weeks after jabs). I will definitely get more but I also know that I do impulse/panic buy (in all things, not just bunnies). Perhaps it's something that I am doing wrong :(

The vet said that would be better to wait until the winter sets in to get new rabbits - what are the views on that? I really miss them all - the first set we had for only 2 and half months but my daughter had really bonded with them. The new pair only lasted with us for 2 weeks (signs of virus showed 1 weeks after jabs). I will definitely get more but I also know that I do impulse/panic buy (in all things, not just bunnies). Perhaps it's something that I am doing wrong :(

So sorry you lost your buns :cry: It doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong, you've just had very bad luck :( Only you can decide if it's the right time to get a new bun...as for impulse buying, you've come to ask for opinions so I wouldn't call that impulse :) Good luck with whatever you decide :wave:

Cold (ice and frost) winter weather decreases the number of insects which can carry the virus. It doesn't kill insects in a heated house though.

I just wouldn't risk an unvaccinated rabbit, it's not worth it.

Why not pm me?

I am in Essex and have rabbits whom are both vaccinated and neutered, looking for homes. You can see them in the link in my signature.

I'm sorry you lost your bunnies :(

I would definitely suggest adopting an already vaccinated pair from a rescue centre. Not only would you be avoiding the risk of bring an unvaccinated bunny into contact with the virus, you would also be providing a much needed home to rescue bunnies rather than paying a pet shop to continue their trade in rabbits :)

you would also be providing a much needed home to rescue bunnies rather than paying a pet shop to continue their trade in rabbits :)

The rabbit in question was an adoption rabbit according to the OP. Not a store rabbit, therefore she wouldn't have been paying the pet shop anything.

I got Jemimah from P@H adoption section for nothing, after half an hour discussion with a girl working there who was actually very knowledgable about rabbits thankfully! :) I think she realised Jemimah would be in a good place with me, as she was relunctant to let her go to just anybody which is good to know.

However I would if I were you look into Rescues as then the rabbit would be vaccinated and neutered.

Sorry you lost your bunnies :(.

I would not risk bringing any more rabbits in if you have lost four rabbits to myxi on two separate occasions so close together.

From the RWAF website

. Try to buy hay from farms free of myxomatosis
• Fit insect screens to outdoor hutches and runs
• Eliminate standing water from your garden (and preferably from any neighbouring gardens as well!) where mosquitoes could breed.
• Be especially careful if you have a dog or cat that hunts wild rabbits, as they could bring rabbit fleas home on their noses! It wouldn't hurt to treat them as a prophylactically anyway!
• Make sure that rabbits living outdoors cannot make contact with wild rabbits or hares.
• If your rabbit has any signs of Cheyletiella fur mites (e.g. “dandruff” on the back of the neck, take him to the vet for prompt treatment.

Special points about the myxi vaccine

Most vaccines are given entirely subcutaneously (under the skin), but the myxomatosis vaccine is different.

About a tenth of the dose has to be given intradermally - into the layers of the skin - for adequate immunity to be achieved. Some vets give it into the thicker skin at the base of the ear; others on the way in or out of the skin at the scruff of the neck. Although fiddly, the intradermal part of the injection is absolutely vital to stimulate an immune response in the skin, which is where the myxomatosis virus usually gains entry to the rabbit.

When you say "you would not risk bringing in any more rabbits" how long is the period you are referring to. Are you saying never? The second pair appear to have come to me already incubating the virus and now in hindsight (which is a wonderful thing) where I got them from had recently had a huge koi carp pond built and looked as though they may have been breeding them too. I have been offered some new french lops, the breeder is going to vaccinate them for me then hold them for a couple of weeks whilst the vaccine "sets in". When I bring them home I intend to house them indoors for a while until the colder weather sets in then gradually introduce them to their proper home (with heating pads through the night).

Myxi incubation can be as short of 5 days so they could have caught it after you brought them home. As there is no why of knowing it seems likely that there could be a source in your local area. Maybe a wild population nearby that's in the flight path of insects visiting your area. Maybe a place you visit regularly need a source of infection...

With that as a possibility I would say any unvaccinated rabbit you brought home would be at higher risk than an unvaccinated rabbit in an area with no previous history of outbreaks. There's no time limit on that so I would go for a vaccinated rabbit.

Do you think I am likely to go through it all again then? Would it not be safer for them indoors until Myxi season over its worst, then maybe wait for buns to have a second jab before letting them out, that would be around April time. I was feeling quite positive about trying again til I read your post :(

The safest option would be adopt a rabbit that has been vaccinated for several weeks (to give the vacc time to kick in) and then to vaccinate every 6 months. Bringing them inside and taking the fly/flea measures would also decrease the risk.

My first rabbit died from myxi, so I understand where you are coming from :) I make sure all my rabbits are jabbed every 6 months and adoption has the benefit of making sure rabbits have had time post-vacc to develop immunity. It's not a guarantee but it minimises the risk.

You've just been unlucky, you did the right thing getting your rabbits vaccinated but unfortunately they were either already carrying it or the jabs didn't have enough time to produce immunity :(

Back