• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mesh on bottom of run?

Margret

Warren Scout
Nala moved into the shed this morning, to which we have attached a 6ft run.
Just come back from hospital stay to find that in 4 hours OH left her she has managed to dig....not quite enough to escape, but if left much longer every possibility. I didn't get mesh attached on the bottom of the run, because I was worried that maybe she would catch her paws on it, but looks like we will have to. Obviously we would just allow the grass to grow over the mesh, but is this ok....don't want to damage claws etc. Other than the digging she seems to be loving her new house, even using the huge litter tray we have given her....its the base of our indoor Guinea Pig cage, which we no longer need.

I put mesh panels on the bottom of both my runs but then laid grass turf over the top. I think it's great :)

Could you try just putting mesh around the edges of the run, so that the middle is still open?

If you have a look at the Omlet Eglu (which I am *not* recommending for bunny use of course) they claim it is fox-proof as the mesh extends onto the floor on the outside of the run, so that the fox can't simply dig at the base of the run wall and slip under.

So if you did a similar thing but with the mesh on the inside she'd have to dig quite far to get out that way. When I was a kid & had outside buns they would just scratch a shallow trench under the fence and squeeze under, so when we built a new run mesh went over the entire bottom as we didn't know any better at the time; never thought to try just a bit around the edges, and I'd be intrigued to see if it works.

The other idea my OH had was to put the run on some paving stones, which would mean she couldn't dig out, but when we were around she could be allowed to run around the garden, this way she would be able to eat the grass. OH also reckons it would be better than damp grass, especially in winter time. Any thought s on this?

The other idea my OH had was to put the run on some paving stones, which would mean she couldn't dig out, but when we were around she could be allowed to run around the garden, this way she would be able to eat the grass. OH also reckons it would be better than damp grass, especially in winter time. Any thought s on this?

That sounds like the best idea to me. When I first adopted Leo and Lila we didnt have a patio so we meshed under the run and turfed over it. They are big diggers and very quickly made a huge mess even though they couldnt dig out. Also it was very hard to keep clean.
O/H built us a patio soon after they arrived and the first thing to go on it was Leo and Lilas hutch/run combo. Its so so much better. No digging and very easily swept clean. I pick them some grass daily so they still get to eat some.

Back