• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calpol Nasal Spray- Mxyi bun

I cannot see what it would achieve. Calpol is a children's preparation of paracetamol. Paracetamol has to be absorbed into the blood to be effective. It's just a pain killer & lowers fever.
I DON'T think it can be used for rabbits.
You would be better with a non - steroidal anti inflammatory drug for pain relief & to reduce tissue swelling from the vet, plus Olbas oil hung in a pad near her.
What symptoms do you want to relieve?

This is what it says on one site:

Natural congestion relief
Unblocks nose
Suitable from birth
Gentle, easy to use spray
Calpol Soothe and Care Saline Nasal Spray helps unblock the nose and can be used to provide natural relief from congestion caused by:

Cold and Flu
Sinusitis
Allergy including hayfever

And another site:

Calpol saline nasal spray is used for treating blocked, dry or irritated nasal passages caused by cold and flu, sinusitism allergy including hayfever and post nasal surgery. It works by rinsing and restoring moisture to the nasal passages.

To ease her breathing- which is what the Potter's Allerclear would have done but i can not get hold of it locally.

For human babies all that's needed is the saline.
A nebulizer is the best for buns but I appreciate that they can't be obtained immediately, & there's cost.
There is a recent thread about using a steam wall paper stripper in this situation, as a home made nebulizer. You would have to be very careful about the temperature of the chamber.
Olbas oil helps a lot too.
I'm sorry I'm having a lot of difficulty with an old computer at the mo.
I really hope that this helps.

She is being nebulised 4 times a day and has Olbas oil on blankets over the cage, but there is no real difference :?

I think your next step is to get a non-steroidal anti inflammatory eg metacam in high dose from the vet. This helps to reduce the soft tissue swelling inside the nose so secretions drain more easily.

She is on 0.2 ml injectable metacam, moving to 0.3ml injectable metacam tomorrow. Could it be higher? Vet was only willing to up it to 0.3 as she said anything over holds to many risks/side effects :?

I'm so sorry, but I can't give informed information about bunny meds.
I carry baby, child, & adult doses of oral/injected human meds in my head. I'm terrified of getting confused with bunny doses. I'm still learning the differences in how bunnies bodies "work".

I got my Potters in Boots the chemist.

However if the Calpol one only has saline in it and not paracetomal etc then it should be fine and sounds just the same.

Just googled it and it sounds fine from list of ingrediants.

Spray upwards from a couple of inches away from nose .

Back