• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A turn for the worst :(

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
It seemed my little Yuki was getting better last night when we got back from the vet. He was eating, drinking, and pooping a lot, and his energy level was very good. I was so relieved, thinking it was finally over and he was on the road to recovery. Unfortunately that's not the case. This morning I got him to eat some lettuce again and a baby carrot, but he won't touch his pellets. He is definitely not eating enough to sustain him now. I had him running around hoping to build up his appetite, but he sat under the chair and didn't want to move, although when he hopped it looked fine and normal. His leg seemed better yesterday, but it's worse again today. He's still sitting at that odd angle with one leg inward, the other outward. I gave him Metacam this morning, but not the Cisapride. The vet told me that if he's not eating by tonight to give him Cisapride again and start syringe feeding him Critical Care. I put some already in a dish for him but he won't touch it. I think I might start force feeding this afternoon. He needs to have something in him.

I'm absolutely at my wit's end! I've brought him to the exotic animal clinic two days in a row already, and that's an hour away from us! These vets are trained to treat rabbits, and neither of them could find anything wrong. I suspect a blockage since it's getting worse instead of better. I talked to the vet tech about it who talked to the doctor then told me that neither doctor had felt any blockage when probing his stomach. I want to bring him to my local vet to get an x-ray but they refuse to do it today. They are very booked and only open until noon. The other clinic also closes early today and is not open again until Monday. I just don't know what else to do. I'm so completely stressed out to the point where I'm breaking down. I've spent every last cent on him in these last two days. I honestly don't know how much more I can take. I love him so much and just can't lose him. He is such a huge part of my life and can't imagine living without him. It seems no one can help us, I just don't know what else to do.

Sorry your bunny is unwell I know how worrying it is for you.

Is he eating, pooing or drinking at all. Has he had his teeth checked - this is one of the most common causes for a rabbit not to eat.
Try offering cool boiled water in a dish rather than bottle, if he's not drinking syringe some into him, it's important to keep anything inside him hydrated.
Have you tried moistening pellets with warm water.

Sakura Ia m so sorry to read about your poor little bun. :(
Is there any improvement yet?
I understand what you are going through as we have had a lot of worrying times with our Jimby, and I feel the same as you do, I love him so much and could not bare to loose him he is my little boy.
I think the best thing for you to do over the weekend is to keep him hydrated, force feed if he is not eating on his own, keep him warm, (Is he indoors with you?)
Obviously if you feel he needs to be seen urgently then take him to the emergency vets but if you feel he can wait until Monday then it may even do him good, to just be at home and in familular surroundings for a couple of days.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. He is still not eating his pellets, but he does eat lettuce and carrots. I'm not going to give him anymore lettuce today, but I think I'll probably give him a couple more carrots just to get him eating. I talked to both my local vet and the exotic vet and both said he couldn't have a blockage because blockages are extremely painful for bunnies and if they get one, they will act like they're in pain like they will sit hunched up and not move, plus they won't be eating at all, and he's still eating veggies. But if it's not a blockage, what else could it be? The vet told me to get him to run around a lot, even if I have to chase him around.

I gave him another dose of Cisapride just now even though he's still eating veggies. I hope it will stimulate his gut enough so he'll start eating his pellets too. I will force feed him a little Critical Care this afternoon. He still hasn't pooped, and I'm pretty worried about that. He is drinking well and peeing, though. He's still grooming himself too.

He does have dental issues but they checked his teeth on Thursday when I brought him in and they don't seem to be the problem. All they could find out is that he had a bit of gas. I read that gas episodes shouldn't last more than 12 hours, though.

He is indoors, always has been. I don't think his condition is urgent as of yet since he's still moving around on his own. But I'll definitely keep an eye on him.

It does sound like statis to me which is when the gut slows down, if he is not eating pellets just picking at bits of veg and not pooping.
Best thing is to just keep him eating, so at the moment just feed him what he wants then it should start to work its way through his system be it slowly but you should start to see some poops in about 5 hours, it can take a while and sometimes no poops are seen for a couple of days but as long as he is still eating and drinking then it is still a good sign. you need to be patient.
Does he like herbs? I found that the thing which got Jimby through his last bout of statis was herbs: Parsley, basil and mint are good, and have strong scents so should encourage him to want to eat. Also try carrot tops and radish tops, also very good are of cause dandilion leaves.
Have you tried rubbing his tummy sometimes that can help move things along?
Is he eating hay?

I'm actually bringing him to the vet again, the exotic one that's an hour away. I think he is leaning to the side, and it isn't really his legs, so I think it could be the beginning of head tilt which he has had before. If it is, I want to catch it as early as possible. It would explain why he's suddenly has GI Status.

He did poop about 3 poops, and they were all soft since he's only had veggies so far today.

I have tried to give him other veggies and herbs, but it seems he can only tolerate lettuce and carrots, everything else gives him very runny poop. Not sure if he's eating hay, but he has an unlimited amount in his cage.

I have given him tummy massages but so far nothing has helped. I hope he isn't getting another head tilt, it was a nightmare last time. I just hope so much that it's nothing serious.

Back