• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No-one to look after Jose

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
I'm going away on Friday for the weekend and my mom/dad/sister were going to come round in the morning to feed Jose and then come round at night to let her out for a bit and give her her greens and change her litter tray.

Now i'm not really talking to any of them (some serious family stuff has recently happened) and now i have no one who can sort Jose out.

One of my mates could look after her but she'd have to stay here cos she cant drive and im not sure i like the idea of someone staying in the house without us being here, but then it'd take her ages to get to work from here anyway. She's never had a rabbit anyway so id worry that if something was wrong with Jose that she wouldnt pick up on it.

I can see myself not going away. Just what i need

I have just done a google search and there is Bunny haven at Hall green,Birmingham that do boarding for Rabbits and small animals,may be worth taking a look at.:D

Do you want to bring her here hun?

She could have constant run of the lounge (as long as she doesnt eat everything :lol: ) I only have a 36" dog crate which she could use as a base for her litter tray/toys, we sold our 48" one as the OH didnt want me getting any more indoor giant buns :(

The only thing is, we have Poppa the dog. Shes fine with bunnies, so as long as you/Jose would be fine with that :) At least it gives you something to think about... you could also pick Rainbow/Jose up on the same day :D As i live like less than 2 mins from Dawn :) xXx

Last edited:
I have just done a google search and there is Bunny haven at Hall green,Birmingham that do boarding for Rabbits and small animals,may be worth taking a look at.:D

Yes I would vote for a nights boarding too, I put Sooty in boarding a few months ago and she was fine - they doted on her, treated their animals well and know what to look out for!

I would rather do this than leave a friend to look after her x
(edited to say I wrote this before Beckys post that seems a good option too)

Last edited:
I dont know how she'd cope with being moved for the weekend. I took her to my moms when we went away in September for a week, i dismantled her NIC setup and carted the lot off to my moms dining room, and Jose did nothing but trash the setup while she was there. She was also really naughty for a couple of weeks when she came home until she'd settled back in again. I dont know if this was because she was in a different place and didnt like it, or whether it was because she was only let out once or twice while she was there (which i wasnt happy about) - my moms living room/dining room is impossible to bunny proof, Jose kept finding every nook and cranny and chewing everything, so they stopped letting her out. And we're picked Jose's Husbun up the day after we get back and i dont want her playing up and messing up the bonding.

Becky, thats such a lovely offer thank you, I just dont know how she'd be. She likes to eat/chew things, most things infact :roll: She's getting better than she was, but i dont know if id trust her enough to leave her free ranging in a room overnight. She's never been around a dog before either, she'd probably terrorise poor Poppa :roll:

this is such a mess

I dont know how she'd cope with being moved for the weekend. I took her to my moms when we went away in September for a week, i dismantled her NIC setup and carted the lot off to my moms dining room, and Jose did nothing but trash the setup while she was there. She was also really naughty for a couple of weeks when she came home until she'd settled back in again. I dont know if this was because she was in a different place and didnt like it, or whether it was because she was only let out once or twice while she was there (which i wasnt happy about) - my moms living room/dining room is impossible to bunny proof, Jose kept finding every nook and cranny and chewing everything, so they stopped letting her out. And we're picked Jose's Husbun up the day after we get back and i dont want her playing up and messing up the bonding.

Becky, thats such a lovely offer thank you, I just dont know how she'd be. She likes to eat/chew things, most things infact :roll: She's getting better than she was, but i dont know if id trust her enough to leave her free ranging in a room overnight. She's never been around a dog before either, she'd probably terrorise poor Poppa :roll:

this is such a mess

:lol::lol::lol: She sounds like a little terror :p If you saw our lounge though, its already trashed from when Ronnie lives inside... ive currently got Dixie and Dotty free range but theyre little angels and havent ruined anything :love: They have to go back outside though soon :(

Have you thought about ringing the vets to see if they offer a pet sitting service? You know, them people who come round once/twice a day? The vet nurses sometimes do it :) I dont know what else to suggest :( I know its best to keep them in their own environment. Jo at the bunnery may have space also, shes about 2 mins from Dawns too. You could put the buns in the carrier to travel home to help the bonding? In fact, i could probably arrange to do the bonding here if you did want to bring Jose, but then she would need to be confined to an indoor cage with Rainbow.

Let us know when you get it sorted, bless her heart :) xXx

How about you invite your friend over and run through some basic bunny stuff with her and what to look out for etc and give her your vet's no. for emergencies?
I would personally advise against moving a bun just for a weekend. In my experience it takes several days for a bun to readjust to a new environment and so although we take ours on hols with us, we never take them for less than 6 days minimum, to give them time to settle in and recover before bringing them home again. I think she would be better staying at home.

If we go for a night or wknd we get our totally unrabbity friend to pop in and look after our buns. Over the years we have taught him how to pick our buns up, but generally we have things so that he doesn't need to do this and he just has to open doors and they do their usual routine. He knows what signs to look out for re. bloat etc and we even leave a ready loaded syringe of meds for him should he need them, plus our vet no. and a VERY long list of instructions! :roll::lol: and he's brilliant, follows them to a tee. We make up litter trays in advance and stack them ready to use, leave everything out for him, spare blankets etc, veg made up in little bags in the fridge and he takes it out and lets it warm up and then gives it to them. He has never had a pet in his life but loves the bunnies and always calls us to check the smallest thing. If you have a friend willing to help, even if they don't know much about buns, you can teach them the rest. Buns are always much happier in familiar surroundings, especially for short amounts of time away. I hope that helps a little. Good luck :)

A bottle of wine or some biscuits make a good thank you for looking after my buns pressie! :D

The only friend id ask to look after her would struggle to get to work tho if she stopped here to look after Jose :? She doesnt have a car atm and buses are pretty pants round here.

I'd trust Becky 100% to look after her, but like Prettylupin said, she'd probably be better staying at home.

Aaarrgghh! I really dont know what to do. I've just chomped my way through a packet of biscuits cos i needed some comfort food and have chewed all my nails :( I can hear the tub of Ben and Jerry's calling me from the freezer

My cousin's offered to pop round every morning to feed her, and then again at night to feed her, clean her litter tray and let her out for a run

I havent made my mind up yet what im going to do tho :?

Back