• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anti rabbit nipping advice please

weeble

My foster bun Fudge is goregous but he is a feisty boy and investigates things by nipping and digging at them including me and my clothes. He also nips if you pick him up as he doesnt like it, the minute you put him down he flops and wants nose rubs so he isnt frightened or really agressive he just wants to go down.

I have just been saying no and either putting him down or moving him away from my clothes when he does it. Is this the right thing to do? Any advice please

I usually squeal out, high pitch. Lavender was a nipper. She still lunges and grunts though.

Rabswood

My Nino is exactly the same. Very friendly and loving but nips the minute he is held. It's an old learned association with him I believe. He learnt early on somewhere wherever he was, that being held was not a pleasant experience. He has a twisted jaw... was probably dropped as a baby :( We have tried every technique under the sun but it doesn't change his nipping. The best thing we find is to distract him from it....he doesn't nip if you walk around with him, only if you stand still, also stroking his head and ears or feeding him whilst being held.

My new bun Darwin keeps nipping, not enough to draw blood but it does come sharp - he does it for attention so I push him away, say a very stern 'NO' and ignore him. Then when he's being calm I give him lots of fuss and a treat. My plan being that I am rewarding calm behaviour. He is such a greedy bun and so far I'm finding it very easy to train him cos he loves his food so much. He's only been here 3 weeks but already he'll go in his cage when I clap my hands so we'll see if this works with the nipping.

tabby did this. she also did powerful attack-biting. but she loves nose-rubs. and she consented to be picked up and cuddled like a snugglebun last week. so hold on - just catch him in the mood!

I am definately going to try the walking thing it does seem to be when I am still that he does it. Michelle what do your neighbours think of the squealing? :lol:

Back