• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Liver Failure- Complementary Treatments-HELP PLEASE

I dont have any advice im afraid. Sending lots of vibes and dandelions to Morse and calming ones to you, praying for good news.

I suggested Nutrical to Liz. It made a huge difference to Summer when her cancer had spread to her liver and she was losign weight rapidly. It gives lots of additional vitamins and minerals (also seems to be useful for stasis). I don't think it will improve the function, but it might give him a boost.

I suggested Nutrical to Liz. It made a huge difference to Summer when her cancer had spread to her liver and she was losign weight rapidly. It gives lots of additional vitamins and minerals (also seems to be useful for stasis). I don't think it will improve the function, but it might give him a boost.

I'll look into that. Thank you :)

Hi Jane, sorry to hear about Morse.
A couple of things to consider, hope they prove helpful.

If dogs show signs of raised liver enzymes, they are often put onto an antibiotic course as infections can be a culprit, worth discussing with your vet anyway.

Often, if there is no other alternatives left, I contact crossgates homeopathics and have found them very helpful and the order is usually the next day delivery. I do believe they helped with Jill, an old goat's arthritis, when at that time there were no medical options.
http://www.crossgatesfarm.co.uk/.

Hope the blood results are not bad news.

I've just found one in my herbal book, not sure if any use but Chicory root is used for liver complaints, and can be made into a tea from being ground and roasted apparently. Not sure if safe for buns though of course :?

ETA and fennel seed tea :D

Last edited:
It makes a nice change that someone can help you, you are always so unselfish helping everyone else out with advice

It said on a site about liver function:

Fennel seed is said to help normalize the liver function.

I think rabbits can eat fennel...probably no help, but hope Morse gets better :)

I have only had experience with Liver damage in a guinea pig but the same things will probably help. My piggie, Sooty, was already very ill and underweight when he was diagnosed from blood tests but he survived for about another 6 months. He had good and bad days and his appetite and weight fluctuated (although he never reached a normal weight again) but he remained bright enough that I couldn't bring myself to let him go.

I think one of the most important things is to make sure they take in plenty of fluids, I suppose because it helps flush their system. Sooty was already drinking loads but I started feeding him mainly fresh food, largely consisting of celery, parsley and grass with a small amount of dandelion. These have diuretic affects (appart from the grass) and I read that they are good for the liver but I can't remember where :( I knew about milk thistle too but at the time I couldn't get hold of any that didn't contain alcohol. I also started feeding him SS guinea pig food which contains dandelion, fennel and nettle so maybe that helped as well. I put avipro in his water every day not only to support his digestive system but also as a source of water soluble vitamins and electrolytes as these may have been depleted faster due to the increase in fluids. I also gave him an additional vitamin and mineral supplement every other day. He wasn't on any medication for his condition.

I want to say as well that this is only my experience, Sooty was not expected to survive that long but I can't say that he had those extra months because of what I did, it may have just been a coincidence or maybe his liver disease was more chronic than acute.
I hope the outcome for Morse is not as bad as you fear.

I believe it is dandelion root, not the leaves, that help. I don't believe the leaves will help much. I've taken dandelion root myself in the past. I think maybe burdock too, from memory. :?

Milk thistle is the best though.

Will see if I can remember anything else...

Back