• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please send vibes for my boy :o(

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Went to the bunny shed this morning as normal at 8am, Ronnie and Lola are always waiting at the mesh door in the shed, as soon as i open the door they go crazy for their breakfast. This morning, Ronnie was just lying on his side in his litter tray :cry: I walked over to him, stroked him and he didnt move... i offered him some pellets by hand, and he turned them down. He even let me pick him up and hold him which he never ever does :( His tummy is very very swollen.

He hasnt had anything different, he had his dinner as normal last night and he was fine. He was a house bun up until May this year, and im worried the cold has got to his belly :cry:

Ive put a snugglesafe in the shed near him, and we have a vets app this afternoon, thats the earliest i could do as i specifically wanted to see Sarah - the bunny savvy vet :( Im so worried about my boy :( Please can we have vibes?

xXx

Loads of vibes for him. Has he had any infacol? If it were mine then I would give a tiny bit if I knew he was bloated.

Loads of vibes for him. Has he had any infacol? If it were mine then I would give a tiny bit if I knew he was bloated.

Nope i dont have any in... :( I think i may pop out and get some, do you know what the dose is hun?

I know its naughty but i did give him some metacam this morning to try and help him a bit. Im ok at giving advice on these sorta things but when it comes to dealing with it myself, im useless :(

Nope i dont have any in... :( I think i may pop out and get some, do you know what the dose is hun?

I know its naughty but i did give him some metacam this morning to try and help him a bit. Im ok at giving advice on these sorta things but when it comes to dealing with it myself, im useless :(

I am not sure about the dose. I just gave Snowdrop about half a dropper of it. I think the baby doseage is 2 droppers.

ETA- here is what Jane said on another thread. I hope she doesnt mind me copying it. "I give 2ml as the first dose and them 1ml every 1-2 hours if needed.
You need to be sure that the problem is gas within the intestines and not bloat.
Putting lots of Infacol into a bloated stomach is not a good idea."

Becky,

I have some advice, that cured my Pete of bad bloat last year so from now on i swear by it! Get one of those thermal lavender heat pad things, bring him in and put the heat bad over your legs, rest him on it, so his belly is been warmed off the pad. I done this last year with my Pete and with 5 mins he started to poo and drink again! It really worked!!!!! :wave: have a go, if you havent got a head pad i will bring you one round after work if you like?

Pm me

Lauren x

Sending loads of vibes.

Artie has had loads of problems with bloat and I've been told that it's *probably* not much to do with food. FHB said she thinks it's to do with the contents of the intestines not passing as quickly as normal, the most likely theory in Artie's case is ingesting lots of hair, not exactly causing a blockage but a slow down so gas can build up. (Still very scary).

I know from what you've said before that your guys get through loads of hay so he's definitely not a candidate for bloat/slow down to occur.

I hope you manage to get him well again quickly :D

Sending loads of vibes.

Artie has had loads of problems with bloat and I've been told that it's *probably* not much to do with food. FHB said she thinks it's to do with the contents of the intestines not passing as quickly as normal, the most likely theory in Artie's case is ingesting lots of hair, not exactly causing a blockage but a slow down so gas can build up. (Still very scary).

I know from what you've said before that your guys get through loads of hay so he's definitely not a candidate for bloat/slow down to occur.

I hope you manage to get him well again quickly :D

Lola is moulting like crazy at the moment, maybe hes been grooming her and has ingested alot of her hair? When i open the shed door, its like a sea of Lolas fur... god knows why shes moulting this time a year :roll:

Yeah theyre big hay eaters, they could have shares in Burns i think :?

Thanks for your advice hun :)

Lola is moulting like crazy at the moment, maybe hes been grooming her and has ingested alot of her hair? When i open the shed door, its like a sea of Lolas fur... god knows why shes moulting this time a year :roll:

Yeah theyre big hay eaters, they could have shares in Burns i think :?

Thanks for your advice hun :)

:wave: You're welcome. I though a big moult sounded unlikely at this time of year but I bet that's what's caused it. I think that's why Rudy has suffered in the past as he spends his life grooming Tink! Frances also suggested that a little bun paired with a big bun may be more at risk as there's a lot more grooming to do therefore more hair to ingest! She said that making sure I groom Art when he's most fluffy would be more useful than the diet changes I was making (such as cutting out spring greens).

Last edited:
Lots of vets and websites say that hairballs/blockages are not the 'problem' that causes the gas/bloat/stasis, but a symptom of an underlying problem. I believe this is very often the case (teeth spurs are a nasty culprit).

BUT, I do also really believe that during the real moulting months (Bobs having one right now) the ingested fur does cause them a problem. Bob's been through it and they could find no other reason for it.

I am sending lots of vibes to your little bun. I hope the vet gets him sorted ASAP.

x

Back