• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP- Autumn - URGENT

Starlight

Warren Veteran
She is starting to ever so slightly mouth breathe

Can i stick her in for another nebulising session?

She sounds a bit chesty.

Last edited:
BUMP

Have put her in her nebulising chamber for the moment, but is there anything else that can be done to ease her breathing?

I've got 2 that I am nebulizing at the moment, and I also put a little bit of olbas oil on a fleece and put over their indoor cage or I put a few drops of olbas oil on a clean cloth and hang safely on their indoor cage or hutch.
They always seem to sit on the side of the olbas oil.

I have an olbas oil vapouriser permanantely on one side of the cage, so the little fan blows out the scent over it, but no actual oil. Only thing i have that is similar is Vicks vapor rub.

I would go to the local Asda to get some, but it is 20-25 mins walk down a few darkened streets. No buses running. No taxi fair and mum is out for the night.

I've used Vick's if I haven't any olbas oil. I've been nebulizing Hope and she seem's better after her session but come morning and she is breathing bad again. It's such a worry.

So can i rub some vicks on some towels around her cage?

How long do you nebulise them for at a time?

Thank you for replying, was starting to think no one was going to!

What I use to do with the vick is put about half a teaspoon full in an egg cup add some boiling water and stand it in front of their indoor cage or hutch. You try anything when they are like this. We nebulize about 15 minutes a session.

Have put 3 small cups 1/4 full of boiling water and some vicks (as indoor cage is so big) just to try and ease her breathing quickly.

How often do you nebulise a day?

Have put 3 small cups 1/4 full of boiling water and some vicks (as indoor cage is so big) just to try and ease her breathing quickly.

How often do you nebulise a day?

3 times a day, but we don't have the chamber's we only have a nebulizing machine,we put them in a pet carrier and cover it with a fleece and put the nozzle threw the door part and cover it over.

That is what i do.

Use a wire cat carrier wrapped with clingfilm.

Only with Saline with Bisolvon in. Waiting on some F10 liquid for her.

I hope Autumn improved after the Vicks, and also that you are doing ok too. Let us know when you can.

Hope Autum is doing better this morning, wee soul.
Hope you managed to get some sleep, must be such a worry! Hugs xx

Hi. I'm really sorry, I'm no use when it comes to advice on this. But I am really praying that Autumn pulls through this and you're giving her the best chance possible. Thanks goodness for you.

Big healthy vibes to Autumn. x

so sorry - I had just packed in for the night just before you posted this.

We also had mouth breathing with Viola Rose as the lumps were at their worst - as the nose swells up inside as well.

You are doing all that can be done. You could nebulise more often with saline (but I think only twice a day with F10).

If the breathing gets very bad you could ask the vet if you can inject the medicines rather than giving orally as it upsets them so much. BUT in your case I would not take her to the vet to get it done as it will be really stressful on the bus - just do it if they will let you inject at home. They should do with baytril and metacam in your circumstances.

We also orally syringed apple juice frequently for vit C, mouth hydration (during muth breathing mouth can dry up and become uncomfortable).

Viola Rose mouth breathed for about 10 days in all.

However any sign of real chest noises (not just referred noise from nasal) then she may need penicillin injected (NOT orally).

Have called and asked about Intrasite, and injectable Metacam and Baytril, they said call in an hour after they have cleared it with a vet.

I do think it is more nasal noise than chesty- i think i just paniced as i typed :oops:

Have called and asked about Intrasite, and injectable Metacam and Baytril, they said call in an hour after they have cleared it with a vet.

I do think it is more nasal noise than chesty- i think i just paniced as i typed :oops:

I know how it is!!

We went to the emergency vet FOUR times with Viola Rose (at a cost of £140 each time!!!!) even though we were constantly being advised and seen by our normal (excellent) vet. We just had moments of sheer panic! Had I not had a vet students also staying with me who could listen to her chest etc I would rpobably have been at the emergency vet at least 10 times!!!!

Back