• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet appointments and jobs

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering how you all deal with fitting rabbits, especially with regards to vet appointments, around your jobs.

For example - if you woke up and your bun was poorly, would you get away with being late to work and saying you had to go to the vet? Or would you have to make up a different excuse, or leave it till evening? Are your vets open outside the hours you work?

In my last job, I was lucky in that my vet was open till 8pm. But there was absolutely no way I could take time off work for vet appointments - a couple of times when I needed to drop Sorrel off at 8am for her dental, I ended up giving my doorkey to my mum and having her take Sorrel in on my behalf.

Where I am now, my vet is only open till 6, but I'm lucky to have avery understanding boss who lets me have unlimited time out for vet trips and i make the hours up elsewhere. I need to never leave this job! :lol:

I am really quite lucky because i am the boss so i can go to vets first thing in morning and go in late or finish early.

Flexibility is essential in any job I go for.

I've been late several times for my job because of having to rush a sick bunny to the vets. I'm supposed to start at 8.30 to 9.00 but a few times I've rung them at 9.00 from 20 miles away having just driven to the vets, saying I'll be in at 10.30. I even was late for a training course through taking a foster bunny to the vets, nobody questioned that she was my priority (especially when she died a few hours later :cry::cry:)

It's always the o/h who takes the creatures, but his job is fine - he works in a vegan workers cooperative, so no-one there would ever question the importance of putting the animals first :D

Bunny Buddy - Sorry about your foster bun :(

My boss has rabbits too, so it's pretty easy for me :lol: I'm fortunate that I don't have many meetings and my hours are flexible, so it's not usually a problem.

I work at the vet part time, so I just take them in with me.:lol:
When I was offered the job, I said if any of the animals were ill, they would take priority- and the boss agreed.

I'm quite lucky as we are on flexi time so I can take my flexi which I have built up for appointments which I have done the last two Mondays for Merlin. Luckily my vets are open in the evenings as emergencies and weekends.

I'm at college doing animal management, but when I ask if i can come in late after taking an animal in to be neutered they say no!

I'm a theatre nurse, lots of my colleagues have children so my need for animal related flexibility in minor compared to that!! Our fur family of 5 has less illness than the average child it would seem.
There are 2 of us with loads of animals & our charge nurse is Chinese. He doesn't really 'get' the pet thing but he wants his staff to be happy (& the work done). I am pretty lucky in that respect. :)
My colleagues are all pretty kind & were very supportive when last year I when I had to have 2 of our own pets PTS in the space of 2 months. They even seem to enjoy hearing about the latest fosters !
I do have Fri as a day off so always do non urgent animal related things that day so as not to abuse the favourable situation I have going.

Thank god for flexi time for me!!! Without it I would be in a right tangle! :? I've lost count of the number of times I've phoned to say I'll be late or need the day off due to a sick bun or cat. I'm so thankful for an understanding team :)

Providing I only have lectures, I will not go to the lectures but to the vet instead and to also stay at home to look after the bunnies. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays I have labs which are compulsary and I can't miss for anything :roll:, so I'd have to wait until evening. :(

My work are flexible to a point, but as we are only open certain hours, it is difficult to be over flexible.

Like I can go without lunch and breaks if I want to go early, or come in late, just so long as I tell my line manager, and make up any time missed. Which I did earlier this week.

I am also lucky that my vets are open until 7pm. They also know I travel by public transport to see them, and they know my prefered time slot!:lol::lol::roll: Its even been known for the vet to hang around for me at the end of the day. and for the most part I am normally right and there is something wrong with my bun.

However, Tuesday wasn't one of the :D and Frankie teeth at fine!! I forgot to say that, as so much else has been going on.

My vets are open until 6 and on a saturday morning, so anything routine like vacc's can wait until after work or on saturday.
Once when Flopsy was sick and the day Rory took poorly and died i was over an hour late into work because of being at the vet and they were fine with it, i had a course run by the HR director the morning i had to take Flopsy in and even he didn't question it :) They were fine with me taking off the day after Rory dying too. We're all a table of animal lovers so i guess that helps :)

I don't know how understanding my work is over me going to the vets. Every time I've had to go during work hours I've just rang up when there was no one in and left a message on the answering machine saying I'm going to be late :oops:

I'm lucky as I work in a pet shop, so everyone their knows that pets are priority. I have been able to leave early for vet appointments, come in late for vet appointments, dissappear for a few hours while the farrier attends to my pony. As long as I make up the hours they have no problem with it :D:D

If its something like dropping off for neutering my mum is kind enough to do it for me. My vets are still open after I finish work so I can collect then or book appointments if its just vacs etc. If it was an emergancy my boss is ok with me being a bit late in, I've even had poorly buns at work with me until a family member could collect them to mind them for me.

Back