• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor little silly bunny

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
My friend's rabbit was spayed recently and the vets ended up having to put one of those "lampshade" collars on her as she persisently chewed open her spay wound.

You know that thing bunnies do, where they lick their paws then clean their face with both of them at once....well she is still attempting that. She puts up her front paws to her mouth and licks, even though she's just licking the inside of the collar, then wipes with them, even though she's just wiping the outside of the collar. :(

It's so piteous to watch, but there's nothing we can do really *sigh*

There is no point to this post, just wanted to have a little whinge, and share how silly she is. She should have the collar off very soon though :)

This is what happened when Scout had to wear a lampshade after she broke her leg:

08-07-06_1437.jpg

Foolish creature! :oops:

This is what happened when Scout had to wear a lampshade after she broke her leg:

08-07-06_1437.jpg

:lol::lol:

Nancy has already managed to get one of her front legs trapped in the collar :oops: we freed her and half an hour later her lower jaw was stuck through it :shock::cry: I can't wait till it's off and we have no more stress!

NB she is a Dutch....clever and naughty :roll:

08-07-06_1437.jpg

Oh I laughed out loud! Not many posts make me do that.

Could the owners try and make a soft collar, like from a sock or scarf? It might be more comfortable for the bun. Also, is she on pain meds?

Years ago our female had her spay done and really didnt like the lampshade, when we were about we took it off and made a wee "jumper" for her .

Take an old sweatshirt, cut the sleeve at the elbow, then cut 2 small holes for the front legs, wrist cuff is for round the neck( or cut that off to if going to be too tight ).
It may or may not work for you, will try to find a photo to post, our jessica quite liked it actually:lol:

Oh I laughed out loud! Not many posts make me do that.

Could the owners try and make a soft collar, like from a sock or scarf? It might be more comfortable for the bun. Also, is she on pain meds?

At first I felt bad for laughing at her but honestly she was OK, so laugh all you like! We called it her 'party hat'. :lol::lol::lol:

The worst thing for them is trying to eat their ceacals....every day we would have to peel them off the collar and wash it for her. I know some people collect them and put them in a bowl for the bun to eat. :mrgreen:

We spent forever removing the collar and fitting her with a special wee jumper made from a sock with legholes and she immediately peeled it right back and started chewing at the wound again :roll:

The owner is closely involved with rabbit rescuing and is very knowledgeable so she will be on appropriate meds (the bun not the human!) and carefully monitored. I last saw them a week ago so fingers crossed the lampshade is off now anyway!

Awww hope she gets the colar off soon. Honey chewed her wound but luckily they put a dressing over it and that stopped her.

when nala had her shoulder operated on she bit the wound open and had a cone on her head she kept hopping into things it was dead funny :lol:

and trying to clean her face and couldnt understand why she couldnt reach it lol

Back