• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

take her on holiday or leave her at home?

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
my boyfriend has booked us a center parks break in january in one of there lodge house things he has paid the extra £50 to take a dog (but so we could take bun) he rang they said its all fine cos of her being litter trained etc

nala is fine with travelling she comes all over with me and she goes all over on her halter...even tho i wont be walking her a center parks due to their being too many wildies about

but should i take her? we also have a holliday booked to blackpool in an animal friendly holiday flat who said we could take her but we dont no wether to or not

she comes to redcar which is a 45min drive away from home with me all the time as thats where my bf lives and she stays with me for a few days and we come home and she comes to my grandmas for our weekly visit so she is used to traveling and she never gets stressed she always falls asleep actualy :lol:

Last edited:
For me it would depend on the bun. So it would depend on what you think would be best for her really. It sounds like you know she would do ok, which is the most important part.

Also, you didn't wait long for a reply before bumping, and I'm sure with some more time more people will reply :) Probably with more useful comments than mine :lol:

hmm, difficult one. If the centre says it's fine, then maybe take her. Does your bun get garden time? If so, i might be hard whilst you are away...esp if there are wildies about.
Are you gonna be leaving the holiday flat all day? WOuld she be shut in a cage all day..is she used to this...??

I would ask myself if being on hol would resemble what her normal day is like anyway, then there is no big deal taking her, but if there is going to be big change, i would leave her at home

shes free range in my room/bathroom which are both big she only gets garden times on nice days so not often but she get the run of the downstairs of the house through the night when the dog is locked upstairs with me mam so being on holliday would pretty much be the same as being at home.

only if shes kept at home she will get fed and cleaned and thats it she wont have anyone to sit with her or keep her company whereas on holliday she would have because me and my bf dont drink or anything so we are going to relax not party :lol:

were 21 and act 201 lol

We've just come back from a week's hols with our buns :wave: It's either take them with us or take them somewhere else and leave them with strangers. Nino's bloat comes on too suddenly for me to trust anyone else to spot it so we take them to the same two places - my parents, and a holiday flat.

Part of the decision is based on fitness to travel - no recent illness or episodes of stasis etc. We had this when we planned to go this time so had to postpone. I would always give it atleast 2 weeks post any illness or vaccination before travelling a rabbit - it is a stress on the immune system.
The other part is based on how much other stress it would be, will it be noisy, is there somewhere they can exercise safely, will they be safe during the day if we are out, how do they cope in the car etc, and how often you will subject them to it. We try to only put them through it once or twice a year. They cope very well :)
There are no other pets around where we go, we make sure vaccinations are up to date, find a time when it is quiet, travel at their sleepy time of day so it does not disrupt the digestive system too much, and do everything possible to settle them in quickly.
We use a collapsable puppy pen both inside and out - plus my dad has wired off his garden for supervised free run. Both places are now familiar to them and they recognise where they are. The holiday flat has no safe garden but they run free around the flat quite happily. Provisional bunnyproofing is a good idea. Taking used litter trays, all food and hay and toys/bedding with scent on helps them settle in quickly.
I would also make sure you research the nearest good vet to where you are going and have all details noted down ready for an emergency.
Bach five flower rescue remedy is helpful for journeys. We only travel 2 hours or so max, any longer a little break is sensible. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

ETA i'd take her if she copes in the car ok :D

i think i will take her she wont get the attention she needs leaving her at home shes brill in the car we have a puppy pen too so the holliday flat in blackpool has a garden i could sit out there with her for an hour or so then bring her in to free range again centre parks does not but she will have run of the holliday home as shes not destructive unless u take her toys away. her myxi vac is due in 2 weeks and will be still active when we go away.

plus i may miss her too much and want to come home if shes not there i no its sad but shes my life :lol:

will deffo find a good vet in the areas im going too

Back