• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent advice please - rabbits eaten plastic!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, gosh I was so busy on that other thread that I have not been out to feed my own bunnies their lunch until now!! :oops:

When I went out this morning to give them their breakfast, I put some plastic sheeting over the first bit of their run so that when they leave the hutch they dont get wet. Its not tarpaulin more like thin plastic bag material.

I have just been out to find that the bit that was against the upstairs of the hutch - they have pulled it through in to the hutch and eaten a couple of holes in to it.

Will this hurt them?? Please advice as am worrying!

Thank you

Helen

If they have swallowed any then all you can really do is wait and see if it comes out the other end. Hopefully they will just have chewed it and not eaten it. Keep a close eye on them and get thems straight to vets if they go downhill.

Bob chews hols in the plastic bag that his hay comes in - nearly every day. He doesn't ingest it, just chews to get at the nice straws.

I've seen a funny thread on here recently about a bun that pooped out lots of rubbery stalk type things. I believe that bun passed them with no problems. I'm almost positive you have nothing to worry about.
x

There was a thread on here recently of a rubber toy being chewed by a bunny and it passed through okay, not too sure about plastic though. May be worth asking a vet for advice but otherwise making sure they have plenty of fibre for the next day or two.

*Can you tell if plastic could be in long strands? - that would be of more concern to me if it were my buns

*Edit to add - just re-read and it's not tarpaulin, that would have been more of a concern.

Thanks guys - they seem perfectly fine and have eaten lots of hay and now happily munching on a huge pile of veggies. I will keep an eye on their poops and hope it either comes out or they were just chewing it but not eating it.

Gosh I feel so bad - here I was having a go at that other lady and not properly taking care of my own buns!!! :oops:

When Kermit first got head tilt, the bottom of his cage was very slippy for him, so i took advice and put a shower mat thing in....this was fine until he got a bit better. I came home one day and he had eaten a big corner off it!

Was fine though, he just has wee white rubber bits in his poo's :)

If they have ingested any then it will hopefully be well broken down by gastric acid.
I'd just make sure that they eat lots of hay and that they are drinking well.

Back