• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wildie with myxi in the middle of the road :(

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
I was going along a 50mph road this morning (doing only 50, thankfully, no faster) and saw a bun in the road in front of me. I slowed down as much as I could (a car behind) and just managed to miss him/her. The bun was just wandering aimlessly and seemed to have no idea where it was - it was only as I got right up close that I saw it's eyes were all swollen and sore looking. :(:(

The car behind me actually stopped as the bun had wandered further over our side of the road. I couldn't stop and go back for it as it's a busy road and I had nothing with me in the car to put it in even if I had caught it. There was no sign of it on the way back so it at least made it across safely but I'm half wishing I had hit it and put it out of its' misery straight away, rather than it suffering an awful myxi death - is that bad of me? :(

I was going along a 50mph road this morning (doing only 50, thankfully, no faster) and saw a bun in the road in front of me. I slowed down as much as I could (a car behind) and just managed to miss him/her. The bun was just wandering aimlessly and seemed to have no idea where it was - it was only as I got right up close that I saw it's eyes were all swollen and sore looking. :(:(

The car behind me actually stopped as the bun had wandered further over our side of the road. I couldn't stop and go back for it as it's a busy road and I had nothing with me in the car to put it in even if I had caught it. There was no sign of it on the way back so it at least made it across safely but I'm half wishing I had hit it and put it out of its' misery straight away, rather than it suffering an awful myxi death - is that bad of me? :(

No

Poor Bun :cry:

It was my natural instinct to avoid it. :( The poor thing had already made it halfway across the road in one piece, lord knows how. If I'd realised it had myxi earlier I'm not sure I could have driven straight at it but I wish I had hit it accidentally iyswim. :(:(

An awfully upsetting thing to see. :cry: I hope you are ok. Don't beat yourself up about it, there was nothing you could have done on a fast main road like that without putting both yourself and other road users at risk. You made a split second decision to avoid like any humane person would without knowing the details. You'd have felt awful if you'd hit a well rabbit by mistake. Try to put it out of your mind. I'm sure poor bunny will pass quickly enough if he is beside the road. It is so tragic and upsetting but there is nothing you could have done today.

No.

I've hit a squirrel before, deliberately, because I had seen it hit by something else but didn't know if it was dead and didn't want it to suffer, so I ran it over, very deliberately. I cried all the way home but I think it was the best thing I could have done for the squirrel.

It's sometimes so hard being an animal lover isn't it, because somethings go completely against our instincts to protect and love them.

You did the best you could at the time, which is all anyone can do.

If it's near your house, I would make sure all yours have been vacs in last 5 months - I saw a myxi wildie about 4 weeks before Alistair & Suki got it

It's definately not bad of you to wish you had ended its suffering. When I was at uni the rabbits around us kept getting Myxi and I ended up killing one that had gotten into our garden and was just lying on the path.

If it's near your house, I would make sure all yours have been vacs in last 5 months - I saw a myxi wildie about 4 weeks before Alistair & Suki got it

Thanks for the warning. :) Luckily, it was quite a drive from where I live and Alfie and Bubbles were both vaccinated in July (although that doesn't stop me constantly worrying about them :? ) Our house back onto farmers' fields with rabbits-a-plenty, so that's a huge worry in itself right now.

Sky-O and Crunchie, I'm so sorry to hear you've both been in horrible situations too. At first I was more worried about hitting him, then I was more upset that I had missed (and of course, felt bad for even thinking that, even though it would have been for the best). Thanks for understanding all. :)

I hope you're not suffering for too much longer, bun bun. xx :cry:

Thanks for the warning. :) Luckily, it was quite a drive from where I live and Alfie and Bubbles were both vaccinated in July (although that doesn't stop me constantly worrying about them :? ) Our house back onto farmers' fields with rabbits-a-plenty, so that's a huge worry in itself right now.

I'm paranoid too, & wish I got re-vacs after I saw the wildie a couple of miles away:cry: I'm gonna be a nervous wreck next sumer

I don't think they last long in the wild.:cry:

I'm paranoid too, & wish I got re-vacs after I saw the wildie a couple of miles away:cry: I'm gonna be a nervous wreck next sumer

:(:(:( Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh? :( Hopefully all your other buns will be ok. xxx

Back