• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do i need to worm my bunnies?

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Iv heard about Panacur, not sure how it works or anything though :lol:
I have never wormed them before, do i need to?
If i buy i tub of panacur how do i know how much to give them?

Sorry about all the questions :oops: :lol:

Are you talking about worming for intestinal worms or for the control of EC ?

If the latter then yes, it is recommended that every Rabbit has a one-off 28 day course of Panacur. If you use the Rabbit Paste it comes in a graduated syringe. The dose is 1 graduation/2.5kg Rabbit /day.

The Panacur 10% liquid is both more economical to buy and its easier to get a more accurate dose. The dose is 0.2ml/kg/day.

It is very important to bleach clean the Rabbits accomodation on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

If your Rabbit grazes on grass frequented by cats or dogs then it would probably be a good idea to worm them for intestinal worms twice a year.
You'd need to consult your Vet for the duration of treatment and the dose.

Are you talking about worming for intestinal worms or for the control of EC ?

If the latter then yes, it is recommended that every Rabbit has a one-off 28 day course of Panacur. If you use the Rabbit Paste it comes in a graduated syringe. The dose is 1 graduation/2.5kg Rabbit /day.

The Panacur 10% liquid is both more economical to buy and its easier to get a more accurate dose. The dose is 0.2ml/kg/day.

It is very important to bleach clean the Rabbits accomodation on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

If your Rabbit grazes on grass frequented by cats or dogs then it would probably be a good idea to worm them for intestinal worms twice a year.
You'd need to consult your Vet for the duration of treatment and the dose.

Hi Jane,

The reason i ask is because my dog has just been prescribed with a strict worming treatment from the vets, she has the start of tapeworms. The bunnies do go on the grass and patio nearly everyday.
So what is EC then?
Would each bunny need a tub or will 1 tub do both bunnies?
Will there be instructions with the pancur? :wave:

Hi Jane,

The reason i ask is because my dog has just been prescribed with a strict worming treatment from the vets, she has the start of tapeworms. The bunnies do go on the grass and patio nearly everyday.
So what is EC then?
Would each bunny need a tub or will 1 tub do both bunnies?
Will there be instructions with the pancur? :wave:

Sorry, this'll be a quick reply.....
EC info here

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

Panacur Rabbit Paste dosing instructions here

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Int...ur_Rabbit___18_75_ACU-_Oral_Paste/-42086.html

You can buy either the Panacur Paste or the Panacur 10% Liquid here

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1105

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=175

The liquid says its for dogs but the active ingredient (Fenbendazole) is exactly the same as the paste.
As mentioned above the dose rate for the Panacur 10% Liquid is 0.2ml/kg/day for 28 days for the control of EC

You need to ask your Vet for the dose rate and duration for treating for intestinal worms
:wave:

I was just about to post the same thread, lol.

My vet gave me the paste and said to do the nine day preventative regime. I know that cats have been visiting my garden uninvited so not taking chances.

I was just about to post the same thread, lol.

My vet gave me the paste and said to do the nine day preventative regime. I know that cats have been visiting my garden uninvited so not taking chances.

If the course has been given as a means of controlling EC then the most recent advice from Rabbit Savvy Vets is that a 9 day course is pointless and a one off 28 day course should be given.

Back