PDA

View Full Version : What Indoor Housing

heffalump13a
15-10-2009, 01:02 AM
If I were to keep two French Lops indoors can anyone give me advice on the following:-

a) what size crate would be sufficient for them and what do I need to set it up/convert it?
b) if I am trying to avoid anymore catastrophic myxi outbreaks does it mean they can never go outdoors or should they go out for a limited time only?
c) my flooring is a laminate style, would bunnies manage on this?
d) could I use one of those 8 panel puppy pens and floor it with something perhaps?

Any advice on any of the above is welcomed.

Tamsin
15-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I would use a pen and have some sort of enclosed sleeping box. A crate would bit a bit pointless on top of that as you wouldn't want to shut two big rabbits in it :)

Laminate can be slippy so they might like a rug or two to break it up.

Myxi can be spread indoors or out. Things that control fly/flea populations and 6 monthly vaccinations are most effective.

kaths101
15-10-2009, 12:57 PM
If I were to keep two French Lops indoors can anyone give me advice on the following:-

a) what size crate would be sufficient for them and what do I need to set it up/convert it?
b) if I am trying to avoid anymore catastrophic myxi outbreaks does it mean they can never go outdoors or should they go out for a limited time only?
d) could I use one of those 8 panel puppy pens and floor it with something perhaps?

:wave: I have my 2 lops indoors - this is what they live in. I bought the cubes on ebay (NIC Cubes) though you will find similar under storage cubes.They are 25 a pack - I used 2 packs. All they have is their toys a litter tray food and drink. Its about 7ft x 4ft.
b) Mine live indoors and I let them free range indoors when im home from work. On my days off when I can spend time with them I let them free outside when I can sit with them I think buns should have 'outside' time. I think to have them indoors then to permanetly put them outdoors is quite tricky as the chnage in temperature can harm them.
c) I have laminate flooring which they do not particulary like but get by on.. I think they feel 'safer' on carpet or rugs. For inside their pen I put rug runners in its nicer for them, saves scratches and easier to clean out.
d) not sure about the puppy pens..
This is a pic of mine
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/kaths101/CIMG0494.jpg

Hope this helps a bit
Katherine x

Kermit
15-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I have laminate style lino, my two find it a bit slippy at times, so i have put a few small rugs down, which they laze on :)

Do you have a spare room, if so then would that be suitable for buns? Then you dont have to get any nic cubes, just have an open dog crate for a base with the litter trays in and let them run about the room....thats what my two do. I have a second level on my crate, but my buns dont go up there!!

I still get my buns 2 yearly vaccines, better safe than sorry.

Muppet2
15-10-2009, 03:16 PM

My rabbits are both indoor rabbits who regularly go outside (anywhere from an hour a day mid winter to all day in summer if I'm home). I just make sure they have myxi vaccinations every six months. It's not a 100% guarantee but it's fighting chance. And they love having the space to run around in, I can see how much happier they are.

Mine both hate my cheap laminate (fair enough, so do i... ;)). For a couple of years I managed with rugs and doormats but I've recently bought a piece of vinyl to fit the room (although not "fitted") and we're all much happier with that. They are more comfortable walking/running/hopping on it and I find it easier to clean and less untidy looking than wretched mats/rugs everywhere.

sam and nala
15-10-2009, 03:31 PM
nala lives free range in my room and bathroom she hopps through out the 2 rooms my room has wood floor and the bathroom has tiles she does not seem bothered by either she happily hopps about no bothered but she has a faux sheepskin dog bed in her dog crate which she loves and some other matts and beds arround the room

Snowberry
15-10-2009, 03:32 PM

French lops grow very large so any sort of enclosure inside isnt going to be suitable really. They will need a room or a large sectioned off area in a room. I would say a minimum of 12ft by 4ft for 2 of them.

I have buns with laminate flooring and they are fine. The dont like binkying on it as they slip but I have a large rug that they go crazy on instead!

heffalump13a
15-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I am only looking for something to keep them contained whilst I am not around, i.e. at work, shopping etc, to stop them coming to any harm. I plan to let them have free range of the whole of the downstairs (bar my daughter's bedroom) so they will have plenty of room when I am in. Just wanted an idea of how I can arrange the set up. :)

Snowberry
15-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I am only looking for something to keep them contained whilst I am not around, i.e. at work, shopping etc, to stop them coming to any harm. I plan to let them have free range of the whole of the downstairs (bar my daughter's bedroom) so they will have plenty of room when I am in. Just wanted an idea of how I can arrange the set up. :)

How many hours will you be working for.In my opinion anything longer than an hour in a dog crate for 2 french lops isnt suitable. They really do get very big.

Tamsin
16-10-2009, 12:04 AM
A puppy pen would be perfect then, that way you can fold it up when not in use. Most of them you can connect two together to make it bigger if you want. A 6'x4' run would give them the same as a shed. An 8x 2' panel would give them 4'x4' so you probably want to go for a 3' wide panel or get extra panels :)

heffalump13a
16-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I have never actually mentioned keeping them shut in a dog crate at all, the dog crate would be having the pen attached to it. They would have access to whatever pen that I can find that has sufficient room whilst I am out and then the house when I am in. It would be no different to the outdoor set up that i have which is a wendy house and access to a run all day.

willowholly
16-10-2009, 09:47 AM
To be honest I dont think it matters too much how big the crate is[within reason]aslong as they have plenty of time out of crate.French lops are quite laid back & tend to cope with small areas.Saying that,they are fairly easy to train so you can have them free range if your room is suitable.I have laminate flooring but have a small rug where they jump out of cage & a bigger rug in middle of room.They adapt well to the flooring,just takes a little time.My 2 are free range but when Dill came I had to cage them quite abit & B soon adapted to this.They are such a lovely breed to have.:)

Chris10
24-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I use a play pen as a permanent home for my two buns and it is perfect, its a good size and is fairly cheap in comparison to crates and not as fiddly as the cube things. I dont understand why more people dont use them :D

heffalump13a
24-10-2009, 11:47 AM
what play pen do you have - where is it from?

Chris10
24-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Mine is the Park 6 pen from pets at home, its just over 5 foot by 2 foot, you may need a bigger one if you have bigger buns (I dont know anything about French lops). But considering my buns get run of the house whenever Im in, the pen is just used to contain them overnight really and keep them out of mischief as you said. I dont know if this is an ok size by bun experts standards, but the rescue I get my buns from loves the setup I have and the buns seem pretty happy with it :D

heffalump13a
24-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, you are always going to get someone saying that what you have isn't suitable, I have just learned to develop a thick skin!! French Lops are big - probably will be looking at linking two pens together I think - I am only keeping them indoors for time being so that I can be sure they have as full protection as possible against Myxi. Intend to re-introduce them to my outdoor set up gradually once the colder weather starts to kick in.

Chris10
24-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh I see, well you probs dont want to spend very much on it then, but I have to say that the idea of a puppy pen sounds great to me, its a very convenient set-up and I love my pen. Good luck with finding what you want x

heffalump13a
24-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Not worried about cost tbh - when it comes to putting them back outside I may not go through with it :lol:

There is a pen on vagavalley.co.uk that you can link together to make bigger but I am sure that I have seen same on ebay for 20 pound cheaper

Chris10
24-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Well now I have mine indoors I couldnt imagine them ever living outside- I would miss them too much lol! Im used to them jumping up on the sofa for snuggles now! I agree you may find it difficult putting them back outside :lol: