• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on my new rex rabbit Smudge?

Mel D

Warren Scout
smudge1.jpg

smudge.jpg

Hi, This is my new edition, I purchased him yesterday but I have a few questions about him.
The pet shop said he was between 8-10 weeks old but I don't know whether this is true because his testies have dropped already, I am feeding him on PAHome nuggets but I'm not sure how much to give him because he is always hungry. Also he is a little on the thin side and I can't remember whether rex rabbits are suppose to be skinny.
Can anyone help with these questions? Thanks

If his testicles have droped he's probably about 14-16 weeks of age

I would not overfeed pellets as that will upset his guts. A moderate portion ( about 2 eggcupsful ) morning and evening would be enough along with ad-lib hay. Be very careful about introducing Veg if he's never had any before.

His thinness is of concern and I'd advise you to get him checked over by your Vet. He is old enough for his vaccinations now so if your Vet thinks he is well enough getting his Myxo vac done ASAP would be a good idea.

I would certainly not allow him access to any other Rabbits (nor share their exercise area) for at least 2 weeks and until your Vet has checked him over.

Keeping a record of his weight every few days will help you monitor his progress.

Thank you for your reply I will make an appointment today and get him checked over as I am worried about his weight. I don't seem to have much luck when buying rabbits my other rabbit fudge has been ill since day one with inherited diseases.

rexes are norm between 2.8-4.1 kgs obv with him being baby hes still growing. Rexes are a main food bred rabbit so they easily put weight on so overfeeding is a problem which can cause problems they are more prone to feet probelms due to being bred for the velvet coat so the fur is less thick than norm rabbits on the feet so watch for feet probelms keep him on soft materials or grass and keep weight down to stop heavy pressure to feet your vet will tell you ideal weight etc.
for tips etc hop along to our page and meet my gorgeous lil boy whos a rex with very bad feet due to his past home.
www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

Hi, I have taken Smudge to the vets and she weighed him and said that he was underweight for his age, she also said he was definately not 8-10weeks old she guessed he was around 14weeks old.
She said he had a few scabs on his body and the lump on his nose was because he had been attacked by other rabbits,he had his myxi jab and has advised me to have him weighed again in 2 weeks.
Even though she is not worried about him I am still concerned about his thin bones you can feel that he has not much muscle on his spine and back.
I am alittle annoyed that the pet shop lied about his age but I suppose it could have been the breeder that lied to them.

Hopefully with a good balanced diet and plenty of exercise he will build up muscle in no time. When we adopted Poppy she had a very protruding spine but to be honest, exercise improved this much more so than diet, she went quite quickly to a hay and veg only diet with us but still gained weight. :wave:

Thank you all for the advice, Smudge is settled in very quickly he started licking your hand/arm when you greet him.
He will be put on a good diet with only a handfull of pellets twice a day and veg/fruit, he still looks for more pellets throughout the day he is a little piggy.

Back